lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
lakereeltor
Not Yet Wild

Default Attempted murder

I bought a 1984 DS in pretty rough shape. It ran and I drove it up on the trailer only to realize it had basically no brakes. No big deal, I can fix those. Get it home in my garage where I decide to start it up and it opens full throttle in reverse no brakes. Swerved to miss the dog, and was headed straight for the broadside of my suburban. Swerved again and was headed for my new aluminum railing and a 12 ft drop off. I am so busy watching where I am driving backwards over the shoulder I can't reach the key. Finally I reach down and kill it and ease to a stop inches from my house.

Two things, this cart is now named Christine from here on out. Second, If I could somehow simulate those event and package it up on a ride You could charge $20 and be rich. My adrenaline was coming out of my ears for the next 5 minutes. Now onto the cart questions.

I see people are calling these motors flatheads. Obvious to see why. I am also guessing this is what you can't drop a predator motor in. Can the cart be lifted and get enough clearance for a predator? Next, what actually springs the throttle cable back from wide open? The weird little spring on the throttle cable looks to not do much. Is it the long arm going back to what I guess is the governor? From what I have seen on peoples pictures my cart looks pretty original and unmodified.

The air box hose has melted and II have not found anything online to replace it, It will not start without being choked hard. Any mods to improve repair this situation?

Any help would be appreciated.
lakereeltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Attempted murder

On the contrary, that cart is a prime candidate for a Predator swap. You may have to lift the cart a few inches (lift kit) before you swap it in, but it will work. I'm planning on doing one in my 4" lifted 1990 over the winter. 1984-1996 Club Car gas golf carts have counterclockwise-oriented rear ends, which means they're designed to run with counterclockwise motors. The Predator 420 is a counterclockwise motor and one of the most common transplants for these carts. It's the 1997-up carts (clockwise motors/rear ends) you want to avoid for most motor swaps because most of the good motors you would want to swap are counterclockwise-running.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:30 AM   #3
lakereeltor
Not Yet Wild

Interesting and very helpful. The reason I thought you couldn't swap is that Vegas carts doesn't offer any kits for either mounting or engine replacement until 1986 for club car. Do I have what they are calling a Fuji rear end(counterclockwise)?
lakereeltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Get one of these "kill buttons" in at least 3-4 foot diameter!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakereeltor View Post
Interesting and very helpful. The reason I thought you couldn't swap is that Vegas carts doesn't offer any kits for either mounting or engine replacement until 1986 for club car. Do I have what they are calling a Fuji rear end(counterclockwise)?
Vegas doesn’t offer any kits likely for 2 reasons. 1, not a lot of demand seeing as the cart is 30+ years old. It would require a lot of time and engineering resources to design a kit and sell 5 per year. And 2. The engine mount in those is basically a big flat plate which makes it super easy to basically stick the predator wherever you want it to be and if the holes don’tine up, drill new ones and bolt her down. If you stick with the key start setup it makes the install super super easy since you don’t have to deal with interfacing with the oem switches, starter/generator, etc. just extend the key switch up front and yours basically done.

You can get a lifan motor from Home Depot with a 18 amp charging circuit on it which is the best if you go with that option. It will run all the lights and stuff no problem. A predator only has a 2 or 3 amp charging circuit so if you run lights and stuff it will kill the battery faster than it can charge it
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car