lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
egammon
Not Yet Wild

Default Help Needed - Adhesive That Will Stick to Plastic Dash

I purchased an "on-the-fly" controller for my 48 volt Beast (E Z Go) cart. When I bought the cart (years ago) the dealer added a "dash" that has glove boxes, cup holders etc.

The dealer who recently added the on-the-fly controller installed the "control panel" using velcro. He glued one part of the velcro to the dash and glued the opposite piece to the back of the "control panel."

This worked fine for about a year. Then the velcro would no longer hold the control panel in place. So I decided to glue the control panel to the dash.

MY PROBLEM: I cannot find an adhesive that will stick to the plastic dash. I first tried 3M 5200 silicone (didn't hold).

Then I bought some really expensive 3M ""Scotch-Weld" epoxy made specifically for polypropylene/polyethylene plastics (3M 8410). Bonds well to back of control panel -- will not bond to plastic dash.

Thanks in advance for any help.
egammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2020, 10:00 PM   #2
RobotObsession17
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help Needed - Adhesive That Will Stick to Plastic Dash

I have never glued anything to my dash, so I lack empirical evidence this will work...but in case you don't have any better ideas: I fabricate 1000's of 3D printed parts. I glue the parts using Loctite's Power Grab:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018N7N51M/

One other comment that may prove helpful: When I touch the 3D printed parts, the naturally occurring oil on my skin transfers to the part and interferes with adhesion. So prior to gluing, I wipe down with something like Mineral Spirits, then let dry, then glue, and finally clamp for 24 hours.

In my case the plastic will fail before the adhesive.

Hope this helps
RobotObsession17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center