lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Need help with Chargery BMS settings after firmware update

I have a Club Car DS with a Nissan Leaf battery 14s2p with chargery BMS set up and chargery charger. I updated my firmware to v4.0, which, of course, returned my BMS to factory settings. I have recalibrated my shunt.

Now, it's time to redo the settings. I could just return it to my prior settings, but there are a few new settings in the BMS and a new procedure for SOC calibration in the manual. I have some questions. Here's a list of relevant settings and the ones I have questions about in red:

Overcharge P Voltage - 4.2
Overcharge R Voltage
Overcharge Current - 100 amp
Overdischarge P Voltage - 2.5
Overdischarge R voltage
Overdischarge current - 600 amps (600 amp shunt)
SOC (state of charge) battery gauge - 0
High temperature cut off - 150
Difference of battery temp - 60
Difference of cell voltage - 300mv (during operation only per the manuf).
Temperature Unit - F
Cut off delay time - 10s
Cell empty voltage - 2.5
Cell full voltage - 4.2
Battery capacity (amp hours) - 120
Battery Power WH (watt hours) - 7000

here is the part I am confused about. Apparently, now I need to "calibrate the SOC". Here is the procedure (sorry, it is long).

SOC Calibration
The program calculates SOC according to the power charged or discharged from battery. Users need to setup battery power (WH) and battery capacity (AH) when turning on the BMS for the first time. After charging to Maximum voltage or discharge to minimum voltage, BMS will complete the SOC calibration and display accurate SOC. The details are as below.
WH = (Cell Voltage X AH rating) IE: 4 cells X 3.25 volts = 13.0V. 13.0V x 280AH = 3640WH
1. Connect all cells and accessories.
2. Turn on BMS, choose battery type, cell count is automatically identified by the BMS, press START or
waiting for 8 seconds, BMS will start and display all cell voltages.
3. Press START for 3 seconds to enter setup configuration screen.
4. Continue to setup “over charge protection(P) voltage” to Maximum value according to cell datasheet.
Generally it is 4.20V for LiPo, 4.15V for Li-ion, 3.65V for LiFe, 2.70V for LiTo battery.
5. Continue to setup “over discharge protection (P) voltage” to minimum value according to cell
datasheet. Generally it is 2.75V for LiPo, 2.50V for Li-ion, 2.5V for LiFe, 1.50V for LiTo battery.
6. Continue to setup battery AH and WH according to battery datasheet. WH can be calculated based on
the formula above or setup according to cell datasheet.
7. Continue to setup “Low SOC cut off” to 0. The setting is used for SOC calibration while discharging.
8. Continue to setup “over charge current‖ and “over discharge current” according to your particular
application requirements.
9. Others can be setup later, but make sure battery can be charged or discharged normally.
10. Press START for 3 seconds, quit Program Setup, LCD display SOC, WH and AH, SOC is estimated based
on battery voltage. WH and AH is calculated according to WH and AH settings. Take a 16S 10AH LiPo battery as a sample, If SOC estimated is 20%, AH setting is 10AH, WH setting is 592WH (3.7v x 16 x 10AH=592WH), the WH reading will be 118.4WH, and AH reading will be 2 AH.
11. Start to charge, with the charging time increased, the SOC, AH and WH will increase, till the cell average voltage reach 4.2V (it is over charge protection voltage setting), the SOC will display 100%, AH reading is 10AH, WH reading is 592WH. Actual power charged may be not 592WH, it is normal, the power (WH) difference is caused by SOC tolerance based on voltage. The BMS calibrated the difference and display accurate SOC.
12. Or start to discharge, with the discharging time increased, the SOC, AH and WH will decrease, till the cell average voltage reach 2.75V (it is over discharge protection voltage setting), the SOC will display 0%, AH reading is 0AH, WH reading is 0WH. Actual power discharged may be not 0WH, it is normal, the power (WH) difference is caused by SOC tolerance based on voltage. The BMS calibrated the difference and display accurate SOC.
13. Stop charging or discharging, the BMS will display accurate WH, AH and SOC, when starting to discharge or charge again, the BMS will display actual power charged or discharged. It will be very accurate.
Notes:
1. In SOC calibration, or in first charging or discharging, “over charge protection(P) voltage” and “over
discharge protection(P) voltage” setting are very important, it must be maximum cell voltage and minimum cell voltage separately. The voltage setting can make sure the WH and AH reading after calibration are accurate.
2. When you turn off BMS, the actual SOC, WH and AH will be saved, and displayed when you turn on BMS. This feature avoids re-calibrating SOC.
3. As Charge and Discharge cycles increase, the battery capacity will be decreased, that is to say, the actual
www.chargery.com page 25 total 63

LiPo & LiFe, LiTo Battery Management System BMS16T V4.1
battery capacity will reduce over time. You may find that the SOC is not 100% when the battery is fully charged (each cell voltage reaches maximum value), such as 90%. This means battery WH or AH is only 90% of the original setting. When this occurs, you can setup new WH and AH, if the original is 100wh, you can change it to 90WH, then the BMS will update SOC display to 100%.
4. Finished SOC calibration, the voltage can be set again according to your specific application. Such as you can set the ―over charge protection (P) voltage‖ to 4.0V (LiPo), and ―over discharge protection (P) voltage‖ (LiPo) to 3.3V, means the battery SOC will be used from 10% to 90%. This will extended the battery pack life-cycle and make the system safer in general.

the seller of my batteries measured them at 120AH. Therefore, I set my battery capacity to the same. That also gets me to right at 7000wh (actually 7056?).

One issue is whether the Chargery BMS will go all the way down to 2.5 as I think the minimum overdischarge is 2.75. May not be able to set any lower than this.

Do my settings look correct? Am I ready to "calibrate the SOC?"
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium