lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Modify Rear Seat and Repair Struts

I hope I'm posting in the correct place.

A rear flip seat was already installed when I purchased my cart.

Rust on the footrest has been a constant problem. The footrest rusted through in one corner and a small section of the supporting frame beneath it. This happened despite the cart being kept in a garage and regular sanding and painting.

My sweet son took the footrest to his friend's welding shop for repair. What I got back was quite a surprise. They decided to build a new footrest but the problem is they did it so well that the thing must weigh 50 lbs! I think it’s too heavy to use. Do you agree??

So, I have a good seat minus the footrest. No one every rides on the seat. I keep it folded flat for hauling things and don't want to give up that luxury.

My idea is the cut the side rails off where the white tape shows in the photo. I found some rubber/plastic caps to cover the open end of the rail. Just in case I ever need the back seat for passengers I plan to order a trailer hitch. I will have to remove the two upright brackets in the bag well. I can't see that they offer any support for the seat but only offer an attachment support for the footrest. See photo. Am I correct?

In the trailer hitch I plan to use 12 inch long foot step like is used on trucks and SUVs. It is rated for 220 lbs and I think the trailer hitch will support it. What do you think?? I would never allow two oversized adults to use this step, or backseat for that matter. LOL.

My reservation to all this is that the rear struts are “loose” where they insert through the cart body. I removed the seat recently while I installed new motor, controller and solenoid. I lifted the struts out of their hole about 1 1/2 inches so the rear seat would slide off. I lifted it up again to reinstall the seat. Now, when I drive cart around and hit bumps the back strut slips forward and when I lean back on the front seat it pushes the struts backwards.
Is there some sort of “slot” down in the hole that the struts sits in? Some sort of bolt that should secure it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sear Arm.jpg (158.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bagwell.jpg (173.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Strut.jpg (175.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Strut2.jpg (201.4 KB, 0 views)
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Modify Rear Seat and Repair Struts

Found one reason my rear seat is sliding around. There are two holes that held screws to mount the sweater basket. The seat uses these same hole and new screws. However, I have no screws!
Inside the holes I found these metal clips. Does anyone know what they are called so I can order new ones and the screws that match??
Pic is of the front and back of the clip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Metal Clip.jpg (105.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-28-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Come on guys! Isn't there one of you willing to tell me that my idea is either a good one or I'm totally nuts. Are you afraid you'll hurt my feelings because I'm female? Tell me what you'd tell your wife.
I would like at least one opinion before I get out my angle grinder. LOL
Old 08-29-2020, 06:42 AM   #4
BCMO
Not Yet Wild

https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/clip-on-nuts/
local auto parts stores should have also

Mike
BCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
zingerbateman
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think those brackets in the bag well do support the rear seat.
zingerbateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMO View Post
https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/clip-on-nuts/
local auto parts stores should have also

Mike
Thank you, Mike! Now I know what to order. I cleaned up the old clips and was able to reinsert them into the opening. At first I thought someone had put a piece of plastic inside the clip but now realize that plastic is part of the old plastic that broke off the underbody of the cart. IOW, the old clip broke away from the plastic. I plan on using a epoxy resin to see if I can stabilize the clip in place. We shall see how this goes. There is another clip above this one, one on each side, that is not broken and I hope will hold the seat. I'll know soon enough. Again, thank you for taking the time to help me!!
Old 08-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingerbateman View Post
I think those brackets in the bag well do support the rear seat.
After thinking about it, I think you're correct. Yesterday I installed a Madjax trailer hitch. It has four bolts and the two outside bolts use the same holes as the brackets. The bolts are very long and could easily pass through both the hitch and the bracket. If you know of any reason I should not do this, please let me know. Perhaps I need a stronger bolt? Also, I installed the "step" into the hitch and it works very well. It's strong with no play inside the hitch.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:29 AM   #8
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

My project is complete. I think it will work fine for my needs since the rear seat is rarely, if ever, used. I will use the step to get up to the seat where I sometimes stand to get a better view when I'm hunting hogs in tall grass.
Also, I don't think it looks too odd to not have a full footrest. It will sure make it easier to access a small toolbox I keep in the bagwell.
I'm still waiting for the rubber inserts for the bottom of the arm rest, where I cut them off. Once I get the inserts I may cut the arm rest even shorter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Seat.jpg (323.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Modify Rear Seat and Repair Struts

Nice job. I was going to suggest a aluminum step plate but you went another direction.
My 04 still has the original step on it and this cart has spent it whole life at the beach since new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 119909447_4282589558482142_5222205766808458514_o.jpg (199.2 KB, 0 views)
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #10
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

I think it looks really slick.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center