lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #1
HookSet
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Figured out my issue

I finally figured out my problem now that I had some time. The diode on my key switch is burnt up and the switch failed, I am sure the switch went first but I don't know.

Does anyone here have experience with this 2 solenoid way to eliminate the high current key switch? I am thinking that's a good way to go at this point.

https://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com..._IgnSwtchFRkit

The key switch lasted about a year and a half is all, and that's with light use..
HookSet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Figured out my issue

Awesome. Check out the "directional key switch" sticky above as it links to a nice post about doing your conversion.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
HookSet
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Awesome. Check out the "directional key switch" sticky above as it links to a nice post about doing your conversion.
I have studied it a lot...the only other thought I had is has anyone tried using a high current winch solenoid to do this? I think it would eliminate the need for two solenoids in this setup but I haven't sat down to look at if it will work or not. I do have a winch solenoid on hand that I am planning on trying tonight.

I would have to add in the ignition/starter solenoid but I think there is a chance it will work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winch Solenoid.jpg (76.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I have never heard of a winch motor but I completely understand your set up. By golly, I bet that would work.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #5
HookSet
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I have never heard of a winch motor but I completely understand your set up. By golly, I bet that would work.
These are what you run a winch with, think ATV, trailer, UTV, Jeep type deal. They handle 200-500A and are $40 or so. I have a 500A one that I'm going to wire up tonight.

IF this works I will document it and post it with pictures.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #6
HookSet
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Stage One update, SUCCESS!!!

I did the rough install of the regular ignition switch and winch solenoid today and it works as desired. I installed a simple ignition key switch and used a 500 Amp directional solenoid designed for controlling a 15000 pound winch and a simple double throw single pole switch to control forward/reverse. It is wired from the ignition solenoid to the winch solenoid the same as the 2 solenoid method would do but you only need one solenoid.

The final install and durability test will be tomorrow. My one and only concern is that the winch solenoid is meant for intermittent use, however by using the heavy duty 500 Amp unit I believe I will be a low enough current draw that I won't have any problems.

After testing this thoroughly I will do a schematic and picture tutorial. This whole thing cost me about $75 or less and the parts are available anywhere you can get a winch, snowplow, etc. so much easier to find a replacement than the two double relays used in the other build.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
HookSet
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

I wanted to close the loop on this deal. Using a simple key ignition switch, a double throw switch and the winch solenoid does indeed work. I can't attest to its longevity but I believe it will last a long time!

All you have to do is add your ignition solenoid into this circuit and it all works. My ignition solenoid feeds power to the toggle switch for forward/reverse and the winch solenoid handles all the power for the starter generator. Ran like a champ!
Old 08-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #8
HookSet
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

I wanted to close the loop on this deal. Using a simple key ignition switch, a double throw switch and the winch solenoid does indeed work. I can't attest to its longevity but I believe it will last a long time!

All you have to do is add your ignition solenoid into this circuit and it all works. My ignition solenoid feeds power to the toggle switch for forward/reverse and the winch solenoid handles all the power for the starter generator. Ran like a champ!
Old 01-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #9
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookSet View Post

Is this setup still working? I just helped the neighbor dig an old ParCar out of the his shop where it was used as a storage rack. Haven’t had a good look yet, but I know the ignition switch is fried and he remembers that he already swapped it out once in the past.
I recommended ditching the switch for a solenoid setup, so am interested in your concept.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:05 AM   #10
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Duty cycle would be the only real concern. Heavy duty would be referring to the contacts and amp carrying capacity which isn't a big concern for this application other than we have very few amps to spare.

The heavy duty would likely mean its got bigger springs so would need bigger coils to work against the bigger springs which would mean they draw more power. More power means more heat and are the designed to be able to take that for extended periods? Their intended application the motor they are running is going to heat up and have issues first so they may not be designed to dissipate that heat.

Our application they are on any time the motor is running which if was on a golf course would not likely be a problem but the way many carts get used off the course could involve being on for extended periods.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar