lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #31
texan
Gone Wild

Default Re: Air Shock Replacement

My first LT came with cone shaped spacer that went between the shock and mounting plate. No noise. Second came with no spacer and were very noisy. Had saved the spacer, put them on and no noise.
Stump took out my first one. Both had crappy shocks for what they cost.
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #32
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan View Post
coldair. I'm on my second set of Jakes, don't think I want them for the third. About one hunting season is all I get before they start leaking'
That's interesting. I installed my 6" Jakes lift kit in 2017. I put a long travel kit on as the areas I hunt were beating me up with a standard 3" of travel. I'm going into my 3rd hunting season and the front shocks are working just fine. Maybe year 3 will be the end of 'em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldair View Post
does yours creak and groan over every little bump? mind drive me nuts.

I have been trying to find a good replacement that won't cost the price of a used ATV.
The squeaks that you refer to drove me crazy as well. I found that applying a good bicycle chain oil to the Heim joints keeps 'em quiet.....and quiet for a relatively long time.

Now, I know others have stated the chain oil will attract dirt and thus, act like sandpaper on the Heim....but if it wears 'em out I'll just replace 'em. That squeak drove me nutz!!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #33
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I buy used atv shocks and right now I just replaced my fronts, was on the cart for like 5 years. Remember, they were used to begin with, so I'm guessing they were 10 year old shocks. If you are only getting a season or two out of shocks, switch to atv shocks, you'll be happy.

Heim joints can be found with teflon liners, that eliminates the squeaks.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:34 AM   #34
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I did a search for Yamaha Raptor 660 shocks. Apparently that model is no longer made?

I could find used shocks and new aftermarket.....but no factory new shocks. I'm guessing Yamaha does not make shock replacements?
Old 09-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #35
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I did a search for Yamaha Raptor 660 shocks. Apparently that model is no longer made?

I could find used shocks and new aftermarket.....but no factory new shocks. I'm guessing Yamaha does not make shock replacements?
You can get new shocks from Yamaha but they are over $300 each. That's why I suggested a good used set to try out. If they work well for you, spending the money might be worth it. I always buy used shocks, typically can find a pair for $100 or so. Remember, with this kind of part, you get what you pay for. These shocks are high quality.

You could also go with some Works brand racing shocks or Elka brand. But I would try the used shocks first.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #36
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
You can get new shocks from Yamaha but they are over $300 each. That's why I suggested a good used set to try out. If they work well for you, spending the money might be worth it. I always buy used shocks, typically can find a pair for $100 or so. Remember, with this kind of part, you get what you pay for. These shocks are high quality.

You could also go with some Works brand racing shocks or Elka brand. But I would try the used shocks first.
I'm one who is a bit leery of buying a used part such as shocks. I just don't know the "history" of the shock....and I always wonder why is the guy selling this used shock? I mean...if he replaced these shocks.....wouldn't the ones he's selling be sub-par?

I guess it's just me.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #37
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
I'm one who is a bit leery of buying a used part such as shocks. I just don't know the "history" of the shock....and I always wonder why is the guy selling this used shock? I mean...if he replaced these shocks.....wouldn't the ones he's selling be sub-par?

I guess it's just me.
By all means, buy new parts.

Not all used parts are "shot" lol. They are usually "part out" parts, from wrecked or salvage vehicles. It's a standard practice in the repair industry to remove good parts from a damaged/salvaged vehicle and sell them for 50-70% less than a new part. Typically sellers have a guarantee of some sort, at least the ones I deal with. I always purchase with a credit card so if there is any fraud I get my money back (pretty rare occurance). If you look on ebay you'll find just about any part you want for almost any vehicle. Rare parts are different, and likely more expensive. I have purchased many used good condition parts online over the course of my lifetime. Can't believe you've never heard of this.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:04 AM   #38
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Can't believe you've never heard of this.
I've got 14 used Nissan Leaf batteries that power my cart. Obviously these are used.

Buying used parts is not an "unknown secret". It's a matter of assessing the risk of the remaining quality of said part....and what the part was previously used for.

I've sold several "used parts" on Craigslist. Most recently "used" Chevy truck wheels and "used" tires for a truck and wheel\tire for a trailer.

Again....no secret stuff happening in this neck of the woods.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:53 AM   #39
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
I've got 14 used Nissan Leaf batteries that power my cart. Obviously these are used.

Buying used parts is not an "unknown secret". It's a matter of assessing the risk of the remaining quality of said part....and what the part was previously used for.

I've sold several "used parts" on Craigslist. Most recently "used" Chevy truck wheels and "used" tires for a truck and wheel\tire for a trailer.

Again....no secret stuff happening in this neck of the woods.
Glad you straightened me out.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #40
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

would you happen to have any ebay links to decent used shocks?

thanks
mike
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts