lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #21
texan
Gone Wild

Default Re: Air Shock Replacement

Slonomo, Have a Jakes LT on my Precedent shock is 15.5 eye to eye installed.
Which shock would you recommend for replacement. Off road only.
Not having to good luck out of Jakes shocks. Thanks
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #22
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan View Post
Slonomo, Have a Jakes LT on my Precedent shock is 15.5 eye to eye installed.
Which shock would you recommend for replacement. Off road only.
Not having to good luck out of Jakes shocks. Thanks
Depends how stiff of a ride you want.

Very Soft Ride = Yamaha Warrior 350 front shocks = 15.0"
Soft Ride = Yamaha Raptor 660 front shocks = 15.25"
Stiff Ride = Yamaha Viking UTV front shocks = 15.5"

I am using the Viking shocks on my cart with the atv front suspension. They are about perfect. Over the years I've used Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda atv shocks, all different kinds. Yamaha shocks hold up the best and seem to be sprung and valved the best etc. Just my opinion.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #23
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

how about these https://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFORMANCE...MAAOSwgMxfYaze
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:12 PM   #24
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldair View Post
Don't know anything about those. Never heard of them. I'm betting they are China made copies of Fox Shocks. Not sure I'd spend that kind of money. Used good condition stock Raptor shocks can be found for $100 a pair all day long. Once you find the shocks you like, then you can purchase upgraded sets from Works or Elka or Ohlins for about $400-$1000 a pair. You can get them with adjustable preload and rebound and reservoirs etc, as well as different sized springs for fine tuning the ride and load carrying capacity. I just run stock atv/utv shocks and I find they are more than adequate for trail riding and yard use.

Why do you think you want air shocks? Personally, I like the standard atv shocks because they are inexpensive and you can try out different models to get your ride just right.

The air charged shocks are prone to leakage and need rebuilt on a more frequent basis. They are typically used on racing quads that see super heavy use and max out their travel regularly. Those reservoirs hold extra oil and allow for better handling when the oil gets hot when the shocks see a ton of travel for long periods of time. For a golf cart you would not see any benefit to using that nice of a shock unless you were racing it in Baja.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:14 AM   #25
texan
Gone Wild

Thanks Slonomo, Your opinion was what I was wanting.
Think I will try the Viking shocks.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #26
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post

Why do you think you want air shocks? Personally, I like the standard atv shocks because they are inexpensive and you can try out different models to get your ride just right.

The air charged shocks are prone to leakage and need rebuilt on a more frequent basis. They are typically used on racing quads that see super heavy use and max out their travel regularly. Those reservoirs hold extra oil and allow for better handling when the oil gets hot when the shocks see a ton of travel for long periods of time. For a golf cart you would not see any benefit to using that nice of a shock unless you were racing it in Baja.
I love the King shocks on my excursion and I have the tools to adjust them so that is what drives my interest in gas shocks and since the stock shocks are dry air charged I thought that would be the way to go.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:03 AM   #27
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldair View Post
I love the King shocks on my excursion and I have the tools to adjust them so that is what drives my interest in gas shocks and since the stock shocks are dry air charged I thought that would be the way to go.
Any shocks with reservoirs are meant for extreme use, meaning lots of travel. The extra oil is stored in the reservoirs and allows better heat dissipation or resists heat buildup in the oil. Heat in the oil allows the shocks to fade, which makes them not react as well and performance of the shock will suffer. For mild street use, rezzy shocks are overkill and most people use them for the looks and style, but never actually see the true benefit of the design. For a golf cart, if you go off road a lot, you might actually see some benefit. Otherwise the same things apply.

Nitrogen charged shocks basically have a rubber air bladder built into the shock that give a little extra support during use. Sometimes it helps with ride height. The larger the air bladder, the more important the air/gas used and pressure settings. Some shocks have large bladders and can have a wide range of adjust-ability.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #28
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Any shocks with reservoirs are meant for extreme use, meaning lots of travel. The extra oil is stored in the reservoirs and allows better heat dissipation or resists heat buildup in the oil. Heat in the oil allows the shocks to fade, which makes them not react as well and performance of the shock will suffer. For mild street use, rezzy shocks are overkill and most people use them for the looks and style, but never actually see the true benefit of the design. For a golf cart, if you go off road a lot, you might actually see some benefit. Otherwise the same things apply.

Nitrogen charged shocks basically have a rubber air bladder built into the shock that give a little extra support during use. Sometimes it helps with ride height. The larger the air bladder, the more important the air/gas used and pressure settings. Some shocks have large bladders and can have a wide range of adjust-ability.
I was thinking that I could adjust the nitrogen charge like I do on my kings for a better ride. the shocks that came with Jakes lift are too stiff not to mention noisy and creaky. it did not help that they sent them out without hiem joint washers and when I called them about it they said go ahead and use them without them so this thing creaks like crazy now. when I called them they said they had no clue when they would get new shocks out to me
Old 09-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #29
texan
Gone Wild

coldair. I'm on my second set of Jakes, don't think I want them for the third. About one hunting season is all I get before they start leaking'
Old 09-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #30
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

does yours creak and groan over every little bump? mind drive me nuts.

I have been trying to find a good replacement that won't cost the price of a used ATV.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts