lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2020, 06:54 AM   #1
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Right Rear Bottoming out on tire

I think I own a TXT - 2010 model.
Serial No. 2709945, but the EZGO web site does nothing when I enter this number.
There is a date code on the sticker behind the seat that reads DATE CODE K2210.

I bought the cart around 2015, which was lifted by the shop I bought it from. One of those shops that has tons of carts out front already lifted. There is a rear seat attached. Cart has been good to us so far.

5 years later the right rear suspension bottoms out really badly when I hit bumps with just me driving it and I go into a left turn. The right rear will drop down, get "stuck", and rub on the back wheel. I have to stop, pull up on the right rear, which then pops up off the wheel, and then I can drive normal again...until it happens again. Putting people on the right rear is a no go.

Would this mean I need to replace the rear shocks? They look like basic junk, not over springs at all. Which, if I replace them, I want better shocks like the over springs I see on some peoples carts. Something with more ruggedness.
If I replace the shocks, how do I determine what to buy?
The cart is used for riding around my property (sometimes 4 people), Kids, to mail box, bringing trash cans to road, general stuff.
Kortoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Right Rear Bottoming out on tire

.Does the rear spring shackle flatten and lock? If so, the cart may have had a bump on that corner and is causing the shackle to overlock. this is why it levels out when you lift it. the only cure for that is to bend the chassis rail back to where it should be. and make sure the measurements are equal both sides. if you jack up the rear and remove the wheels, you should be able to measure between two places each side and confirm this. I use a porta power ram between the spring mounts to push the bent side back out.

Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:17 AM   #3
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

AhhhHaaaa. Yes, about 3 years ago my youngest drove really fast in reverse and hit a porch post 4x4 and sheered in in two with the back passenger foot rest deck. There was some cosmetic damage to the back of the cart, not much, it never "sat" perfect again, but it drove to our satisfaction. We call this thing the Beast now.
However, I did not realize other damage could be deeper and probably start to cause things like this.
Ugh, I will have to check this. Thank you, I will check and get back to this thread.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

May need new HD leaf springs if some of those 4 people that have been riding are "Heavy".
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

If you find this is the problem, you can push it out with a jack and piece of 4x2 timber. Push further than you need, a bit at a time as it will spring back when you release the jack a little. Go slowly and you will get it spot on as per the picture.

I bet if you look at the shackles each side they sit at different angles on opposite sides. That will confirm my diagnosis .
Old 09-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I will be verifying this later today.
I have no doubt you are onto the problem. Your troubleshooting ties into a prior event you had no knowledge of. However, you probably have seen this before.
Thank you!!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I worked on several golf courses and the golfers regularly played bumper cars with them. I did at least 1 a week, sometimes several lol. it got to the stage that it took me less than ten minutes to fix. Hence why I bought the porta power ram instead of a jack and lump of timber.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:14 AM   #8
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yep, approx. 26-inches on the right side where the hit was taken.
The other side is 26.5-inches.

Your measurement is from center to center for the bolts right?
Old 09-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #9
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

DONE !
OK, it was tough, thought I was going to kill myself a few times because of the energy being created between the jack and the board. Wondering if the connection at the board and jack would pop out at me and something hit me.
I think I fixed it, bent out that right back side of the frame close to 26.5. It definitely sits better and equals the other side. From the wheel hub to the wheel.

Question:
1. Would replacing the rear shocks with more heavy duty over spring type add more load carrying ability in the rear? Right now when I step onto the rear deck to sit down, the back lowers down a good bit. I weigh approx. 210 lbs.

2. If so, how do I go about determining the type or length (size)?

3. Should I replace the front as well when replacing the rear?
Old 09-25-2020, 11:15 PM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm in the UK and must have been asleep lol.

Yep, you figured centre to centre! Personally for more weight capacity, I would fit progressive rear springs rather than messing with shocks. That would be a bit hit and miss. The springs will ride as normal under normal load,but as you load up the rear, the second stage will take over and stiffen the ride. Don't use heavy duty springs if you use the cart unloaded at times as the ride would be harsh. Others may agree with me on this.

Your fear of something popping out is the main reason I bought the ram, as it was a regular job at the golf course lol.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts