lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #11
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Basic Nissan Leaf 7 module Lithium setup with Generic Chinese BMS

Lol! "Sergio's Lith Pack, LLC"
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sorry this is just a hobby for me guys, but hopefully folks can get some ideas on how to built an inexpensive but safe setup for leaf cells.

I did have a chance to experience how freezing weather has a drastic effect on these lithium cells performance, while I already knew this was the case in theory, I now know how it feels in practice.

I have some parts I purchased last December to potentially address this issue when this subject had come up, but never bothered trying anything since I did not think my local weather would be an issue, well I was wrong.

I will post updates on my conductive heat experiment when I have a chance to install the parts and do some temperature readings.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #13
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sergio,

Thank you for laying out a blueprint and parts list. I am going to start to acquire all the components and slowly build. I would be working a DS, so the tub is my first hurdle that comes to thought. I have seen some that just mount on a piece of plywood, but also look at Pingguy's builds and want it to be as neat as that. But I could bench build to a drop in over time now that I have an idea and then install in one or two days. I still have to clear in my head how to set up HV and LV controls with the Relay from the BMS. I can follow the schematic but want to see one complete. Also wondering if the ZEVO is not a better option than saving the money. Especially for the challenged like myself.

This is a project that is worth educating yourself and not rushing for the sake of safety. Thank you all for educating us.
klubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #14
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

On Sergio's Negative cable is a wire white ring style device with he numbers J356 device f. What is this and it's purpose?
klubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is my old current meter and in that photo it is on the wrong cable.

Installed as shown on the negative cable to the controller B- it will only measure discharge and Regenerative current.

After that picture I moved the sensor to 4ga negative cable that goes to the battery so I can also monitor the charge current as well.

Here is the 400 amp meter I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually made a little setup with that meter and my old voltmeter and mounted to the steering column near the steering wheel using one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #16
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Anyone found a similar 10A charger to the one Sergio posted? The link for the one he posted is "currently out of stock".
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #17
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Sorry this is just a hobby for me guys, but hopefully folks can get some ideas on how to built an inexpensive but safe setup for leaf cells.

I did have a chance to experience how freezing weather has a drastic effect on these lithium cells performance, while I already knew this was the case in theory, I now know how it feels in practice.

I have some parts I purchased last December to potentially address this issue when this subject had come up, but never bothered trying anything since I did not think my local weather would be an issue, well I was wrong.

I will post updates on my conductive heat experiment when I have a chance to install the parts and do some temperature readings.
I'd be interested to see what your observations WRT the colder temps have been on voltage and capacity of your pack?

I noticed today (using the RoyPow / LifePo4 cells) that voltage sag was more than my initial tests (when I think temps were almost 80) as I saw pack voltage today (around 52 degrees) drop to 49v under same conditions that produced 50.5 before (same SOC, same 220 amp brief load).

Nothing has changed other than the ambient temp, so I assume that is likely the difference.

Today I was trying to finish my informal range test, and those results were also likely skewed a little bit by the temperature (I normally wouldn't be out in the cart at around 52 degrees - generally I'd be using the cart here when it is mid 60s or higher).

I didn't really expect any perceptible difference due to temps - I assumed it would have to get below 40 or even to around freezing before colder ambient temps really made much difference in loaded voltage potential or current delivery.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #18
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Battery internal resistance changes drastically with temperature. Something like a factor of 2 for 10 deg C change. I fly RC models with Lipos and the performance is way different at 50 degrees vs 80 degrees.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #19
fstop
Gone Wild

Thanks - I'm going to need to read up a little more.

I did already see where battery pre-heating / heating is a thing (Teslas etc...).

Interesting...
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #20
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu1tm View Post
Anyone found a similar 10A charger to the one Sergio posted? The link for the one he posted is "currently out of stock".
Here is mine https://www.ebay.com/itm/28369594043...m=283695940436 it is a 58.8v 15A with dual cooling fans and adjustable Pot so you can trim to your preferred voltage. We have used 8 of these and they are great.

Specify the AC and DC type plug in the Notes at checkout and it will be ready right out the box. Mine was pushing right at 59 volts so I trimmed it back to 58.2 volts. You will see in the pictures where the trim pot is.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car