lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #1
Atmosphere31
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G2 Vs. Ninja 750 Motor

Hi All,
I have recently been invited to build a golf cart for our local Golf Cart Chuckwagon races. (ill let your imaginations wander) I have found an inexpensive Ninja 750 engine that I was planning on throwing in it. Has anyone done a swap like this? its an old electric cart, so Im not exactly sure how I could marry the engine to the final drive. I was thinking of keeping the differential, for when im taking it easy on the cart, but im not sure if a straight axle would be better? If i was to use the stock rear, how would a guy get connected?
Thanks!
Atmosphere31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G2 Vs. Ninja 750 Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere31 View Post
Hi All,
I have recently been invited to build a golf cart for our local Golf Cart Chuckwagon races. (ill let your imaginations wander) I have found an inexpensive Ninja 750 engine that I was planning on throwing in it. Has anyone done a swap like this? its an old electric cart, so Im not exactly sure how I could marry the engine to the final drive. I was thinking of keeping the differential, for when im taking it easy on the cart, but im not sure if a straight axle would be better? If i was to use the stock rear, how would a guy get connected?
Thanks!
Read everything you can. You just don't "throw" a m/c engine into a golf cart. Lots of these projects wind up in the scrap yard...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
JRL
Gone Wild

That's a big (dimensionally) motor. A solid axle is the way to go. No reverse, but if electric cart, no reverse anyway. The "locked" axle won't stop you from turning.
The orig rear is too complicated to dink with. Be sure and get all electronics off the donor scoot. If old ZX, some electronics could be hard to find and expensive. Very little I overlap for electricals. None for the main harness. Some older Kaw street bikes had matched anti-theft key switch. No fire without the match. You can do a work around but it's tedious. Before beginning your project, get the engine running properly. Those things are famous for bad intake valves, and bad carbs. Ideally you'll want the complete donor for exhaust, meters, radiator...ad infinitum.
If the engine is fi, get the fuel tank and fuel pump. May not be useful if sitting for years. Aftermarket fuel pump can be adapted. The fuel pump isn't an issue with carbs. Any cheap low pressure pump will work with carbs.
Any large live axle ATV rear assembly can be scabbed on
May I ask what year scoot you're working with?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #4
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Read everything you can. You just don't "throw" a m/c engine into a golf cart. Lots of these projects wind up in the scrap yard...
MOST of them end up in the scrap yard, #1 finish it, #2 do it with safety in mind, #3 try not to die trying. Yes, I can say this, I've done it.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:43 AM   #5
JRL
Gone Wild

Done scairt him off...that promised to be an interesting project...bummer

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2019, 04:42 AM   #6
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

You have to have a commitment to build a Motorcycle engine powered Golf Cart.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:03 AM   #7
JRL
Gone Wild

I'm going to offer a plan here. This is step one...more or less. The ZX750 would make a good cart engine. ZX750 was outclassed by CBR and GSXRs, and later ZX600. But it was an interesting ride with tons of torque. Didn't have to "stir" it constantly. Have to set the motor on blocks and calculate how much lift the cart will need to accomadate the engine height. Seat's gotta close. Easier to jack it up than cover up a high engine. IMHO.
WTH is a "Chuckwagon" cart.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2019, 06:31 AM   #8
bikerjoe
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I put a zx900 motor in yamaha read the threads ninja sleeper looking for cams stock would work if ya know of any......I be more than happy to help with advise if needed

Last edited by bikerjoe; 09-08-2019 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: wasnt finish typing hit wrong button
bikerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #9
bikerjoe
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
it helps if just a Lucky Guy who is doing it
bikerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
JRL
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerjoe View Post
I put a zx900 motor in yamaha read the threads ninja sleeper looking for cams stock would work if ya know of any......I be more than happy to help with advise if needed
Not sure which ZX900 or ZX9 you have, but used cams for both on ebay. $35 and up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps