lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
rjstark
Not Yet Wild

Default No Power to Zone Electric after battery replacement

I recently replaced 8 of my Zone Electric Batteries with SAMs club duracell ones. I had the cart back up and working flawlessly, but when I went to finish up the job I may have blown a fuse somewhere.

I suspect I blew a fuse because I may have reconnected the two electrical plugs into the wrong ones. I knew something blew because two of the taillight bulbs exploded. With this said, I am having trouble getting power to the cart now, and suspect it's either a fuse or that I fried the motor/solenoid? Attached is a picture of the wires I believe I screwed up (the wires with connectors at the bottom of the picture). NOTE: this is the old batteries but everything is connected exactly the same.

The batteries are all connected correctly and I checked the voltage of each - which all read 6v. Furthermore, the charger works correctly and the batteries seem to be holding a charge and taking a charge OK. I think I found the horn/light "fuse holder" attached/connected to one of the white lines. That fuse looked in tact. However, the lights still get no power and the rest of the cart gets no power as well.

Typically, when I turn the key to the "on" position, I hear a click. Being that the cart does not seem to be getting power I do not hear the noise or see the LEDs for the battery levels. Very frustrating, since I had the cart working yesterday before I screwed up connecting the wires the wrong way!

Attached is the cart's manual with the 1268 controller wiring diagrams. I cannot seem to locate the other fuses (other than the lights/horn which seems to be in tact). How do I check the other fuses and where might they be located and what might they look like?

Also, is there anything else I can troubleshoot? A reset button or something? I am trying desperately to get the cart up and running for family that is in town for the weekend. The kids love zipping around in this thing!!

TIA for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4499.jpg (193.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Zone_Owners_Manual_FINAL.jpg (139.4 KB, 0 views)
rjstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
pgomes
Not Yet Wild
Star

Default Re: No Power to Zone Electric after battery replacement

I'm having a similar issue. Just replaced all 8 batteries and reconnected. Getting zero power anywhere. Hoping someone has some ideas....
pgomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 PM   #3
warbirdfan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstark View Post
I recently replaced 8 of my Zone Electric Batteries with SAMs club duracell ones. I had the cart back up and working flawlessly, but when I went to finish up the job I may have blown a fuse somewhere.

I suspect I blew a fuse because I may have reconnected the two electrical plugs into the wrong ones. I knew something blew because two of the taillight bulbs exploded. With this said, I am having trouble getting power to the cart now, and suspect it's either a fuse or that I fried the motor/solenoid? Attached is a picture of the wires I believe I screwed up (the wires with connectors at the bottom of the picture). NOTE: this is the old batteries but everything is connected exactly the same.

The batteries are all connected correctly and I checked the voltage of each - which all read 6v. Furthermore, the charger works correctly and the batteries seem to be holding a charge and taking a charge OK. I think I found the horn/light "fuse holder" attached/connected to one of the white lines. That fuse looked in tact. However, the lights still get no power and the rest of the cart gets no power as well.

Typically, when I turn the key to the "on" position, I hear a click. Being that the cart does not seem to be getting power I do not hear the noise or see the LEDs for the battery levels. Very frustrating, since I had the cart working yesterday before I screwed up connecting the wires the wrong way!

Attached is the cart's manual with the 1268 controller wiring diagrams. I cannot seem to locate the other fuses (other than the lights/horn which seems to be in tact). How do I check the other fuses and where might they be located and what might they look like?

Also, is there anything else I can troubleshoot? A reset button or something? I am trying desperately to get the cart up and running for family that is in town for the weekend. The kids love zipping around in this thing!!

TIA for any help!
I'll give you some hope, but I just spent the better part of an hour writing a response and went to the Preview Post and the board complained about something and I lost everything that I had typed. I'll try again tomorrow and a pic of my Curtis Controller to try and help you along.

John
warbirdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
warbirdfan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstark View Post

TIA for any help!
To start with I have a Zone and as I understand your situation when you turn on the ignition you don’t hear the click. On my Zone I don’t hear a click until I press on the accelerator. That maybe irrelevant. On my Zone I have a Curtis SepEx Controller. It sits behind the seat under a cover and has several heavy duty battery cables attached to it. Two with Red Collars and two with Black Collars. Standing on the passenger side looking at the Curtis Controller one Red Collar cable is attached to the right side of the controller. There are two Black Collar cables to the left and to the bottom left is a Red Collar cable. Note also that there is a Status LED light close to the terminal with the Red Collar cable at the top right.

The Red Collar cable at the bottom left is attached to a terminal and just above it is a fuse. It is white in color and you can see two plastic ridges (pull tab) and an open spot on either side. Pull up on the assembly and the fuse will come out with the plastic assembly. See second picture with fuse removed and upside down resting on the fuse holder.

Referring to your picture you have the Red Collar cable attached along with a smaller Red cable. I believe that Red cable goes to the 48v to 12v converter seen at the bottom right of the picture. The large Black Collar cable also has a smaller Black cable attached that goes to the voltage converter.

I don’t see the Tow/Run switch on the bottom right side just above the voltage converter. Per chance is it in the Tow position? With the ignition turned on I don’t believe any power is passed to any circuits in the Tow position.

Ok, this is speculation. In regard to the output cable interface coming from the voltage converter, disconnect it. Use some jumper wires and with two 6v batteries in series jumper to the interface that you just disconnected and with the ignition on do you have power to the lights, horn, etc. Don’t connect to the cable interface that goes back to the inverter. If that works I’m thinking that cable interface was connected correctly.

In closing I want to tie up some loose ends. On the Curtis SepEX Controller I mentioned there is a Satus LED light. With the ignition turned on do you get any kind of flashing with the LED lights? Those are Fault Codes. As an example on mine it will flash one, two, space, one, two, three, four and repeat. Mine has an issue with a solenoid, but it still gets me around so it’s not an issue now.

Addressing your battery replacement. Someone else below your comment said the same thing. This is what I’m experiencing. I had US Batteries in mine and they were rated at 283Ah. I replaced them with Interstate Batteries from Costco and they are rated at 210Ah. I have the Delta-Q charger and the algorithm of the charger needs to be changed. Presently, with the batteries fully charged they are showing about 52 volts. When I charge the batteries my volt meter (hand held) indicates 54 to 56 volts. Also, looking at the Delta-Q charger it has LED lights indicating charge level. There is also an LED charge light on the dash and on the kick panel. If I wait for the charge cycle to complete my hand held volt meter will indicate about 62 volts and my batteries are boiling and it stinks. I did this once and realized I need to change the algorithm on the Delta-Q battery charger. My problem is I don’t know what algorithm to use. Costco was no help so I need to contact either Interstate Battery and or Delta-Q for the correct algorithm number and if it isn’t stored (10 are stored in the Delta-Q) I’ll have to figure out how to download the correct algorithm. If someone can shed some light on this topic it would be appreciated.

Please follow up if you have additional issues and if my setup isn’t the same as your. I hope I’ve been of some help.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtis SepEx Controller.JPG (81.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SepEx Fuse Removed.JPG (80.3 KB, 0 views)
warbirdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
wandaeddie1@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

I am having same kind issue but I have a loose wire on the Curtis controller can i get a picture of the wires on the controller where they go in to the little snap piece got about 8 or 10 wires in it
wandaeddie1@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay