lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2000 G16 not charging

I'm new to Yamaha side of this forum so be easy with me. I'm working on I think a 2000 G16 that is not charging. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of what to test first. The starter works great and I understand it's the same brushes for the generator side also. Any test or diagrams would be appreciated. I suspect the voltage regulator, but I don't want to just throw parts at it as that could get expensive.
Thanks.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2000 G16 not charging

1. To begin with, I suggest you obtain a copy of your wiring diagram (available in the stickies) and also a voltmeter. Once you have those, connect the meter (set to read 12 volts) across the battery (+ to + and - to -). Should be reading 12.5 volts or so. Start the cart in neutral and rev it up. Normally, with a good VR, battery voltage should rise to between 14.5 to 15.5 volts. If not in range, next step:

2. Make sure the r/w wire at the VR is at battery voltage (ign. switch and start switch both turned on to get this reading). If getting voltage,momentarily connect the green wire at the starter/gen to ground while running the engine (the red and green wires are the starter/gen field wires). This applies full field to the starter/gen field and should result in a relatively high battery voltage reading of 16 - 17 volts. Do this only very briefly, just long enough to get a reading. If you do get this high voltage, your starter/gen is ok. If starter/gen tests good, check the wiring and connectors between the starter/gen and VR. If you do suspect a bad VR, see if you can borrow a good one to test to see if that corrects the problem. The VR is a potted part and I don't know of any way to test it.

Post results for more help if needed. Good luck - Ray
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, I will check out this afternoon and post back.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
1. To begin with, I suggest you obtain a copy of your wiring diagram (available in the stickies) and also a voltmeter. Once you have those, connect the meter (set to read 12 volts) across the battery (+ to + and - to -). Should be reading 12.5 volts or so. Start the cart in neutral and rev it up. Normally, with a good VR, battery voltage should rise to between 14.5 to 15.5 volts. If not in range, next step:

2. Make sure the r/w wire at the VR is at battery voltage (ign. switch and start switch both turned on to get this reading). If getting voltage,momentarily connect the green wire at the starter/gen to ground while running the engine (the red and green wires are the starter/gen field wires). This applies full field to the starter/gen field and should result in a relatively high battery voltage reading of 16 - 17 volts. Do this only very briefly, just long enough to get a reading. If you do get this high voltage, your starter/gen is ok. If starter/gen tests good, check the wiring and connectors between the starter/gen and VR. If you do suspect a bad VR, see if you can borrow a good one to test to see if that corrects the problem. The VR is a potted part and I don't know of any way to test it.

Post results for more help if needed. Good luck - Ray

I disconnected the green and red/white wires at the terminal closes to the s/g, grounded the green wire and tested the red wire with the Vm. Black lead to ground and red lead on the red wire coming from the s /g. Is this the correct way to test the s/g? If so I only got a few millivolts. Should the connector be connected for this test?
Old 07-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The red wire must remain connected during the full field test. The green can be connected or disconnected. The red wire is the positive feed for the field and must be at battery + voltage level. That's why I also have you test for battery voltage on the r/w. A bad connection in the r/w wire to the VR can cause no charging.

Did you try checking first to see what volts you get at the battery before going to the full field test ?? That would be best. Let us know what you have. - Ray
Old 07-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The red wire must remain connected during the full field test. The green can be connected or disconnected. The red wire is the positive feed for the field and must be at battery + voltage level. That's why I also have you test for battery voltage on the r/w. A bad connection in the r/w wire to the VR can cause no charging.

Did you try checking first to see what volts you get at the battery before going to the full field test ?? That would be best. Let us know what you have. - Ray

I did check the battery first. 12.4 initial and about the same while running. I did not have the red and red/white wire connected on the next test. I will do that next. I had disconnected the plug to do that test. I'm away from it for a few minutes, but will check and get back with you.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, after figuring out the correct way to test the s /g I do have around 15 to 17 volts depending on the to rpm. So does that conclude the voltage regulator being bad?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #8
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not exactly!! That concludes that the s/g is good, although there is a pretty good chance your VR is shot. All you can do now is confirm that the r/w wire is supplying +12 volts to the VR with ign. switch and accel. sw on and check for any bad connectors to the VR. If all ok there, you could try a borrowed VR to confirm or spring for a new one. Hope that helps. Let us know how you make out. - Ray

Last edited by bigstik40; 07-21-2015 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: additions
Old 07-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #9
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Not exactly!! That concludes that the s/g is good, although there is a pretty good chance your VR is shot. All you can do now is confirm that the r/w wire is supplying +12 volts to the VR with ign. switch and accel. sw on and check for any bad connectors to the VR. If all ok there, you could try a borrowed VR to confirm or spring for a new one. Hope that helps. Let us know how you make out. - Ray

I have done all that and checked the Connections the best I can. I have one more question. How does the voltage get back to the battery? Does it connect through the solenoid? Everything is in the harness and hard to trace. I was just wondering how it gets back to the battery. I don't have one I could borrow, so I guess I'll have to spring for a new one to try.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #10
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
I have done all that and checked the Connections the best I can. I have one more question. How does the voltage get back to the battery? Does it connect through the solenoid? Everything is in the harness and hard to trace. I was just wondering how it gets back to the battery. I don't have one I could borrow, so I guess I'll have to spring for a new one to try.
The solenoid remains energized all the while you have the accelerator pedal depressed. Before the engine starts, the starter/gen is acting as a starter motor and cranks the engine. After the engine starts, the starter/gen is being spun by the engine and acts like a generator (because it has a field coil which is energized and controlled by the VR). Actually, the VR works by grounding and ungrounding the green field wire at a fairly high rate to regulate the generator output voltage. Current now reverses and flows in the other direction (from what is now the generator) through the still energized solenoid contacts and charges the battery.

Hope this helps and good luck with your fix.- Ray
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha