lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2021, 12:45 AM   #1
jarrus
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 Electric Intermediate Gear Issues

I'm having major issues with my 2007 G29 electric cart. I took apart the rear end and found that the intermediate gear (smaller of the two gears) was completely worn away and ground off. I contacted a Yamaha dealer here in Colorado and found out that they can't get the gear. In fact, after looking all over the internet, the gear has been on backorder for more than a year. I found a guy in Alabama who had a 2010 transaxle (yellow tag Team) and he sent me the input shaft and intermediate gears out of it. Well, I got the gears today and the gears look great except the intermediate gear has some play in it between the bigger gear and the smaller gear. The bearings also feel a little rough. I'm wondering if the slack is the result of wear or if there is a key pin in there that has been worn? Or is this gear I got from the guy garbage? I inspected the bad intermediate gear I took out and there is no play in it between the gears at all. Seems to be pressed together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can make a youtube video if that would help to demonstrate the slack/play.
jarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #2
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G29 Electric Intermediate Gear Issues

I'm not surprised that the gear is out of stock. Yamaha stopped using the Team transaxle almost 10 years ago.
Back when the problem was discovered, Yamaha changed out a ton of transaxles.
Your 2010 parts may be worn but they are better than what you took out.
Change the bearings. They are contaminated with metal particles from your gear.
rstacy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's an older thread... maybe it helps:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=97632
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
jarrus
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstacy View Post
I'm not surprised that the gear is out of stock. Yamaha stopped using the Team transaxle almost 10 years ago.
Back when the problem was discovered, Yamaha changed out a ton of transaxles.
Your 2010 parts may be worn but they are better than what you took out.
Change the bearings. They are contaminated with metal particles from your gear.
I got the cart for free with bad batteries. I wish the prior owner would've got the axle replaced. Do I need to change every bearing? for the most part, they seem to be in good shape and roll smooth. Also, if I do decide to replace the bearings, can I get them on without a press using the heat and freezer method?
jarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:06 PM   #5
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrus View Post
Do I need to change every bearing? for the most part, they seem to be in good shape and roll smooth. Also, if I do decide to replace the bearings, can I get them on without a press using the heat and freezer method?
If it were me, I would flush the bearings and see if they are still rough. Change them if they are questionable. You don't want to pull the transaxle again.
The bearings are easy enough to get out. The cheap puller with the 90 degree tang will do it.
Take careful note of the spacers and shims and remember their locations.

Check the axle bearings for play. They are easier to change before they come apart. The only tricky bearings are the axle bearings. You pretty much need a slide hammer, and press or at least a strong vise and big hammer.
rstacy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
g29, gears, intermediate, ryde
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha