lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #1
karly
Getting Wild

Default charger or batteries

so i have a lester summit charger that doesn,t turn off,,after all night code says run time exceded,, batteries are 3 yr, old t875 trojan after charging i ran about a mile or so to take off top charge each batt, checked with ohm was between 8.40 and 8.35 pack charge 50.60 so batt,s are not new but not junk yet , the charger is from another cart that it worked fine on so any suggestions? before the fellas start everything is clean and tight thx
karly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Default Re: charger or batteries

3 year old batteries could be the issue but first, standing pack voltage is 50 or so volts but what is the voltage under load. That is where it counts. The charger could be weak but since the voltage is sitting at 50 or so volts im pretty sure the charger isnt the issue. It will time out because its trying to charge batteries that arent fully taking a charge so it just runs and runs until it turns off. Lets start with what the voltage is in the pack under load. You can clip your wires from the volt meter to the main pos and the main neg and read voltage when you take off on the cart. What is the lowest voltage reading you get?
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
karly
Getting Wild

scott think you,re right about batteries,, just lookin for other thoughts,, batt,s are sulfated if you look into cells and acid is a dark almost black color,, i still can go 15 to 18 mi. and still at 60 percent, have had cart 2 yr,s and don,t know how the other owner took care of it,, just never had any kind of batt,s go bad after 3 yr,s,, thinking about battery source 8 volt batt,s haven,t seen anything bad about them and they have stores everywhere, thx happened to think ,, i guess a cart dealer could sand off date code and stamp their own on
Old 11-30-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
Scott quail
Gone Wild

If the water in the batteries is dark in color and almost black than the batteries need to be replaced. Its interesting that you still get 16-18 miles on a charge though. The only way to see what the charger is doing is to know what the amp output is when charging. It could very well be putting out low amperage and this will cause the charger to also run and run until it times out because its not putting out the amperage to charge the batteries and this could also be the reason for the dark water. Again, check the voltage under load and see how far it drops. also, for a dealer to sand down and re-stamp a battery would be a complete disrespect to reputable dealers and i would hope they dont do that but in this day and age, nothing surprises me.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:13 PM   #5
LPnTX
Gone Wild

I had this same issue with my 07 YDRE. I borrowed a buddies charger and it still wouldn't shut off. I bought a hydrometer and found one cell in two batteries that were bad. I could still get 18 holes in, but had to manually charge the cart and my battery meter would not go to full charge. The batteries were just over three years old and after I replaced them, no problems.
LPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #6
karly
Getting Wild

mine are about the same i can run 15 to 18 miles and still have over 50 % left but charging manually pack won,t go over 50.4 not enough to turn charger off,, strange but i can,t find one battery that checks really bad and yep i,ve checked with digital volt hydrometer under load with cart and with load tester,, i,m gonna buy batt,s but just for the heck of it think i,ll dump some epsom salts in and test the wive,s tale
Old 12-07-2021, 06:25 PM   #7
FlaglerBeach
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am about in the same boat! Last night I had to limp home. Crown batteries 4/17, max charge is 50.1 volts, weakest battery is 8.28 volts 1.26 when tested with the hydrometer. I have a 600 amp controller, I see a low of 38 volts when I first take off and levels out to 42 if I hold it down. I wonder why I can't get a higher charge than 50.1? I was thinking my batteries are getting weak and they are but I can go 7.7 miles as tested tonight and my charge dropped down by 26 percent which isn't bad at all in my opinion. That one battery that I am questioning was showing 8.02 volts when I got back and the rest about 8.18. I wonder if changing the one battery would help me or should I keep it like it is? For me to have to limp home was strange since I only went about 9 miles and according to tonights test I must have left home with a low charge that caused me to limp home. My charger is putting out 11.15 amps.
I am not trying to hijack Karly's thread but it seems like the same symptoms..\
Thanks
FlaglerBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #8
karly
Getting Wild

hijack all you want if someone has an answer we both would enjoy it,, i tried the epsom salts thing with no change at all still 50.5 after 4 charges,, i,m just gonna use the batt,s until they don,t work anymore there doesn,t seem to be any change so probably will last quite awhile longer, good luck
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha