lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Rtcole
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Key switch issue?

My 2013 electric club car key switch will not turn off my cart. I assume if the switch isn’t working then by batteries are discharging all the time. When it is in the tow mode the cart doesn’t run as it is supposed to but are the batteries still engaged? How do I get the switch to turn off? Any ideas?
Rtcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Key switch issue?

Take off the dash and inspect the key switch connections. Also I have seen the entire cylindar rotating instead of just the lock cylindar which is the mechanism that activates the on and off. When tow is engaged the batteries cannot power the cart. And your batteries aren’t discharging much more than if they are just sitting there unless you are drawing power from them. The OBC etc. has a small draw but not much unless you are using the cart.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtcole View Post
My 2013 electric club car key switch will not turn off my cart. I assume if the switch isn’t working then by batteries are discharging all the time. When it is in the tow mode the cart doesn’t run as it is supposed to but are the batteries still engaged? How do I get the switch to turn off? Any ideas?
The key switch is nothing more than a simple 2-wire ON/OFF switch if it is not shutting off then disconnect either of the 2 wires going to it and see if the cart no longer moves

Even when not completely powered down by the tow switch the OBC uses very little energy even if the key is left on and will eventually go to sleep due to inactivity to further conserve energy.

When the Tow Mode is engaged it cuts all power to the OBC so no the batteries are not engaged.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It would be unusual for the key switch to fail, on a Precedent in particular, that symptom (cart runs with key switch Off) can be caused by a miss-wired 16v->12v reducer.

Make sure only the pack positive battery post (battery #1) has an addtional wire, no other battery post should have addtional wires.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Rtcole
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I am new to this so which one is battery 1? The guy that built my cart added lights to the cart but he said the lights had a built in voltage reducer.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Battery #1is on passenger side, aka: pack positive, it has the cable that goes to the solenoid.

Battery #6 is on driver side, aka: pack negative, it has the cable that goes to controller B- terminal.

You can always post pictures showing your batteries connection and we will tell you if it is done right.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:09 AM   #7
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is how the batteries are numbered:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Numbering Batteries.jpg (36.1 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:24 AM   #8
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Lights and accessories should be powered via a 48V to 12V reducer. The reducer connections should be: positive on the +ve terminal of No 1 battery and the negative connected to the yellow bullet terminal on the black wire near the negative of No 6 battery. This yellow connector is attached to the B- and is used because any current draw is then recognised by the OBC (On Board Computer) which controls the charger to replace the energy that has been drawn from the battery pack. If the negative was simply attached to the negative terminal on No 6 battery, the reducer would work fine but the charging would be compromised and the charger may turn off before the batteries were fully charged because it wouldn't have "seen" the amount drawn by the reducer.

Enjoy your new cart. After following the discussions on this forum you'll gain an enormous amount of knowledge that will help you maintain the cart in peak condition.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
Rtcole
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

What should the key switch wiring look like? Again i am new to I this and am really puzzled why the switch stays on all the time even without the key.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Please post a picture (high resolution) of your battery pack showing the connections.

As I mentioned earlier, on a Precedent that is usually caused by an improperly wired 16v->12v reducer (or no reducer at all just tapped the wrong batteries).

We can easily verify that by looking at the battery connections.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car