lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #1
AlmostEagle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thumbs up A quick praise to AllTrax and ScottyB!

I finally had the time to do my controller conversion in my 2017 Onward (2 pass). If it weren't for ScottyB and AllTrax tech support (Ron), I could not have done it.

I went with the XCT-"300" with my stock motor. I did upgrade my cables to 2ga, but Alltrax said it wasn't necessary on the 300. This isn't a hot rod unit, golf and neighborhood cart only. I just like a little more power.

Hopefully I am the guinea pig for those doing this conversion themselves on this particular unit and maybe I can help prevent others from getting frustrated.

1) The manual is incorrect for wiring (someone else posted this, but it's good to know.)

Green-B+
White-M- (J9)
Orange-J7
Blue-J8

Also, after wiring correctly, everything worked except the motor. ScottyB (via email) and I volt tested and checked every wire on this thing. The solenoid wouldn't click when pressing the gas pedal...and obviously no motor power. Even the program under the gauges showed the activity, but no power to motor. We could not figure it out.

Finally reached out to Alltrax tech support. Same day service. We walked through it and he found the "glitch." The software was showing the cart on charge when it wasn't. Ron had me do a few configuration changes and had my wheels spinning in no time! Gave me a quick crash course on the software and also sent a revised motor map for my particular unit. I could not have asked for more.

My cart was maxing out at 18. Last night a did two quick laps around my block and was getting over 23 (according to phone GPS) with a lot more torque. I'm going to recheck the program and make sure my rev limit is set as it was really moving and I don't want to burn up the stock motor.

Anyway, Thanks ScottyB for your time & not letting me quit (I wanted to). And thanks to Alltrax for the great customer service!
AlmostEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: A quick praise to AllTrax and ScottyB!

You would have definitely saved a lot of time by checking the site first, but the 2 sources you used/mentioned are excellent.

For future reference since color of the cables don't mean much, specially once they are upgraded, here are the 2 possible ways to connect the controller to the motor (neither one is on the Alltrax site):
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1446775
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
AlmostEagle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You would have definitely saved a lot of time by checking the site first, but the 2 sources you used/mentioned are excellent.

For future reference since color of the cables don't mean much, specially once they are upgraded, here are the 2 possible ways to connect the controller to the motor (neither one is on the Alltrax site):
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1446775
You are correct, colors are all different. I did use your post when wiring. I should have given you credit as well. Thanks for helping me out!
Old 11-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

We all try to help out each other on this site, or at least give you lots of ideas on how to spend your money

Another not-so-obvious quirk with the XCT controllers is if You find your cart rolling backwards and cutting off when trying to take OFF from a stand still while heading uphill, that is controlled by the "Plug-Brake" current setting.

In that case set/increase the plug brake to about 250 amps.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Another not-so-obvious quirk with the XCT controllers is if You find your cart rolling backwards and cutting off when trying to take OFF from a stand still while heading uphill, that is controller by the "Plug-Brake" current setting.

I didn't know that one. I knew putting the XCT in your hands would help us all
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
AlmostEagle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
We all try to help out each other on this site, or at least give you lots of ideas on how to spend your money

Another not-so-obvious quirk with the XCT controllers is if You find your cart rolling backwards and cutting off when trying to take OFF from a stand still while heading uphill, that is controlled by the "Plug-Brake" current setting.

Man, you are good! I do have something on the very bottom/stand-still that I need to address. Plan on dialing it in today after I do the whole "work" thing. It always gets in the way. :) From stand still I have a little, almost jerky feeling, right on the bottom when I first press the pedal. Jumps a little almost. After engaged, the rest of the throttle is smooth as butter. Is that what you are referring to?
Old 11-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is a different setting, the "plug brake" issue manifests itself when you have stopped on an incline and take the foot off the brake to press the accelerator pedal.

If the cart starts to roll backwards and the plug brake current setting is too low, the controller will shutdown and you will need to step on the brake to prevent it from rolling backwards.

Increasing the plug brake current will allow the cart to go forward even if it is already rolling backwards.

The "shaking" you are getting on the beginning of the pedal travel may be related to lack of torque depending on your curve.

That curve is really unique to each cart setup as it depends on your max rpm set, the motor, the tire diameter, the terrain conditions and the throttle calibration.

I don't have a copy of my current settings, but the attached image is a good starting point (I used it for a while).

If the cart is still "shaking" at take OFF, increase the torque curve slope (blue line) from the 10% -> 70% shown to 10% -> 80%.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alltrax_XCT_sample_curve.jpg (103.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
AlmostEagle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
That is a different setting, the "plug brake" issue manifests itself when you have stopped on an incline and take the foot off the brake to press the accelerator pedal.

If the cart starts to roll backwards and the plug brake current setting is too low, the controller will shutdown and you will need to step on the brake to prevent it from rolling backwards.

Increasing the plug brake current will allow the cart to go forward even if it is already rolling backwards.

The "shaking" you are getting on the beginning of the pedal travel may be related to lack of torque depending on your curve.

That curve is really unique to each cart setup as it depends on your max rpm set, the motor, the tire diameter, the terrain conditions and the throttle calibration.

I don't have a copy of my current settings, but the attached image is a good starting point (I used it for a while).

If the cart is still "shaking" at take OFF, increase the torque curve slope (blue line) from the 10% -> 70% shown to 10% -> 80%.

Thanks Sergio!!! I will give this a try later today.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Another thing:
The hesitation on start can be a problem with how Your MCOR is interacting with how the linearized throttle position is set.
Alltrax says if someone gets this jerky throttle start have them pull up the toolkit, make sure they can see linearized throttle position (a check box in the tools à options window will let you see it if they can’t already). We want to check the Big double sided arrow in the top left corner, if you hover your mouse over it you should see a number pop up. If it’s a high number drop it to 5% if it’s already at 5% drop it to 1% and see if that helps.

For jerky start I would try this ^^^ first.
You got the controller with a soft start built into the throttle curve already. Another quick try is select TURF mode instead of STREET, that will soften the throttle response.

keep us posted
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
AlmostEagle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks ScottyB! I'll head home shortly and start playing with this.

I'm more excited now than when I actually got the cart!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car