lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #1
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default TXT48 or PDS F&R switch update with digital battery meter

TXT48 and PDS in dash F&R switch upgrade with digital battery meter install.
Recent acquired 2010 TXT48 had 2 shortfalls. (common to TXT PDS also)
1. no battery condition indicator
2. F&R switch on the dash

I'm 6 ft tall and so I reach over 3 ft but that was not far enough to reach the F&R switch. Each time I wanted to switch direction I had to pull myself out of the seat 6 inches to reach the switch.
I know, it's not a big deal but I have a series TXT cart with the SW202 shift conversion with the rocker switch mounted just center & below the seat cushion. I can reach this without getting off the seat cushion. Basically it is ergonomically correct. Huh? You say? In short it is physically correct.
You don't pull yourself up out of the seat in your car to shift so why should you have to in the cart? And I needed a meter so I installed a series keyswitch plate and digital meter and a rocker F&R and housing at the edge of the seat.
Here is the picture log for anybody interested & 'wheels' who asked me to do this thread, thanks for asking

What I started with is standard Ezgo TXT48 dash and the common shift hole plug under the seat... (used for the series cart lever)
And here's what I ended with. Remember to begin all work by putting the run / tow switch in the tow position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.0.jpg (44.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1.5.jpg (18.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 15.0.jpg (43.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 16.0.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT48 or PDS F&R switch update with digital battery meter

Here I am removing the OEM switch plate. Simply push or drive the plastic rivet center pin in and dig the rivet out. The F&R wires pull off and the switch retainers are compressed by hand to remove or you can toss it out with the plate.
The key switch has a screw on beauty ring.... remove it and wiggle the switch out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.0.jpg (38.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.5.jpg (48.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (105.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.0.jpg (114.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.5.jpg (71.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here we see the new cartsunlimited.net brushed aluminum key switch plate and in dash digital battery meter. Notice I have switched the power back on momentarily to verify the white wire has power all the time in this cart. Connecting the meter (+) to this wire will keep the meter on all the time. Connecting to the other wire will have the meter come on and off with the key. It's your choice. There is no measurable draw on the pack to run this meter. Leaving the meter on all the time will not adversely effect the battery pack. I have connected meter red (+) to the key switch.

Between pic 4 and 5 I have cut the spade terminals off of the F&R wires and pulled first the orange & then the green wires back out of the harness from a location where the OEM solenoid is located. The F&R wires were visible when I lifted the seat.

Caution - do not confuse the green wire with another green wire with white stripe in the same loom.

So I have pulled 2 of the 3 F&R wires back through the loom which leaves enough room for me to attach my meter (-) to the last F&R wire and pull it back through the loom to the battery bay where it will connect to the battery main (-).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (72.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (67.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (85.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (77.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9.0.jpg (37.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here I have stripped back the last F&R wire (gray) and the new 18g meter wire about 1/2 to 5/8 inch. I have slipped a 1.25 inch piece of small shrink wrap on the meter wire. I have folded back and twisted each bare wire so they are attached as a chain link. I have heated the shrink wrap over the twisted wire ends and applied a liberal amount of synthetic grease to the wire and into the loom, to get things started.

Pull the gray wire out and the new meter wire in. Connect the (-) meter wire to the meter black and the main negative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.0.jpg (57.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 10.5.jpg (47.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 10.75.jpg (58.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 11.0.jpg (77.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 12.0.jpg (56.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here is the pay off - and it's short and sweet. Pry out and remove the rear body sifter plug shown in post #1.
Put the 3 F&R switch wires in a maybe 2ft piece of plastic loom and feed them out through this hole.
Shorten the The F&R wies as needed, & install 3 spade flag terminals on these wires and install them in the order shown in the pics below.
Then hold the switch housing up over the hole and drill one of the 1/4 mounting holes. Install the bolt and nut snug not tight. rotate the swiotch until it looks level..... walk around the front of the cart and check - when it looks right drill the second hole and install and snug tight both screws. NOT lug nut tight - it's plastic and the nuts are self locking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13.0.jpg (59.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 13.5.jpg (54.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 14.0.jpg (31.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 14.5.jpg (75.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 15.0.jpg (43.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Install the key switch plate using the new push rivets supplied. Flip the run / tow switch to the run position and check your work. Meter works Cart suns Forward in F and reverse in R ? Congrats . Now sit back and enjoy the new comfort and function of your Ezgo cart. Thanks for following along
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16.25.jpg (128.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 17.25.jpg (132.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
Filthy-Beast
Not Yet Wild

Nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
03psd73
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looks great. Scotty is the switch for sale on your site I could not find it.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03psd73 View Post
Looks great. Scotty is the switch for sale on your site I could not find it.
See items # 5 and 6 here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-led-meters.html

Option #5 just the switch mod and hardware

Option #6 switch mod and DVM switch plate upgrade as shown in this thread.

Thank you for asking
Old 07-31-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yeah.....I did that to mine when I replaced the antiquated F\R TXT switch and went to Scotty's Super Duty Reversing Contactors. Best thing since sliced bread.....or bikini's.....or the Corvette....or the Mustang GT.....or....well you just can't go wrong buying one.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO