lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
sqhunter57
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 fuel pump

How much pressure should be on line coming off motor to fuel pump. U can hold ur finger over it and it’s putting out not sure if it enough. I can fill line up and it run good till gas is gone. Put a boat primer on it u can pump it up and will run for a bit and when u shut it off u have to pump it up again to start. Has any one put a electric fuel pump on one. Any information will be appreciated. Put a new fuel pump on it also was a cheaper new one
sqhunter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2022, 10:53 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 fuel pump

Sounds like you're losing prime. Your pump could be bad, but I'm betting all your rubber hoses are old and hard, likely leaking. Replace all the hoses. I've had many carts running stock style and Briggs style vacuum pumps and never had any problems, never needed an electric pump, and I've even run the big block engines with motorcycle carbs.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:58 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Bad crank seals will also make fuel pump not work.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:36 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Electric pumps have long been controversial here on BGW. Some people, like me, love them while others hate them. Understand that mechanical fuel pumps need vacuum prior the carb to get gas from the tank to the carb . I see opportunities for fails there....bad pump diaphragms, bad vacuum lines, bad back flow preventer, bad gas cap even.

Electric fuel pumps take the first part of that equation right off the table as the electrics guarantee fuel to the carb. No priming needed, no vacuum needed prior the carb, the pump itself is the backflow preventer. You still need vacuum to get it from the carb to the cylinder so an electric pump won't solve poor crank seals.

The knock on electric pumps is that they can compensate for poor cranks seals and eventually lead to cylinder damage. There could well be some truth to that but my experience is that if the crank seals are bad an engine won't run no matter as there is no vacuum to get fuel from carb to cylinder anyway.

Again, there are differing opinions on electric pumps. I respect those who feel differently and am not trying to start any debates.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #5
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Like stated above, hoses are a cheap, easy and quick repair. Start there make sure to have clamps on them.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:57 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Wasn't knocking electric pumps, just saying that it's not a problem solver, but is an upgrade. Just thinking there might be another issue that an electric pump won't solve. I'd hate to see someone spend the bucks and time and still have an issue. If everything is in good condition, the stock fuel pump is more than adequate.

I do like electric fuel pumps if you run a return line and keep fuel pressure low like 2-4 psi, so using a regulator with a good liquid filled gauge is essential. Having a constant flow of fuel means cooler fuel temps, better performance, faster starts, and less chance for vapor lock. Good high quality fuel pump brand is also essential, cheap chinese ebay pumps are usually junk and not worth the bother.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:20 AM   #7
sqhunter57
Not Yet Wild

Thanks
sqhunter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha