lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
dragos28
Gone Wild

Default Re: Pipe Bender

Thanks Dan..
Thats the main thing, for around $100 i really should be able to make it work.
i've seen people take pipe and cut it in half, and put that on the contact points to keep it from kinking...

i'll see if something like this is necessary....

I think i should just go with the HF and save my $$...
dragos28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
danman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That looks like it would take care of putting indentions around the bends, which is my least favorite part of the HF bender.

Not the best picture, but the best close up pic I have of my cage that was built out of sched 40 1 1/4" and a HF bender.
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
dragos28
Gone Wild

it looks like it held up really well...
No seat belts though??
Old 12-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
danman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This was before my new seats, so the old ones were not bolted down.

I've gone back and forth about seat belts and decided that if things got bad enough, I want to be able to bail off of the cart and not be strapped to it
Old 12-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yeah.....I dunno guys, go to this site sponsor: http://xtremecartz.fatcow.com/138823.html and if you scroll down to the third photo, that's what I got 'em to build for my hunting buggy.

Yeah....maybe about $400 with shipping 'n stuff. BUT...no tool to buy. NO pipe to measure and (more importantly) NO pipe to bend. AND even more better, NO pipe to weld or paint or coat. AND even double-secret-probation the best....just bolt it on and your DONE!!

No one can convince me that their time it takes to measure, run for pipe, bend, weld, paint or powder coat (if they have access to this) is worth that kind of $$$$.

Now, this roll cage from Outback Fab, will probably bend and twist should I happen to get into the unfortunate situation that my cart get's rolled.....but I thing it's strong enough to keep the 1,000 pound cart from crunching me into the next world!!

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Roll-Over Tested!!!!The biggest thing with benders is that the dies get pricey quick.If you need 2 sizes and 2 different radius for each you can spend over $600 real quick just for the dies.The Eastwood is a great deal since they are included.I copied my buddies Jd2 bender and dies start at $100 each.I need at least 4 different sizes plus some square dies.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
Woofhound
Not Yet Wild

The trick to keep from kinking the pipe is to weld a thin plate over the end, fill the pipe with DRY sand, weld cap over the other end and bend carefully. the sand keeps the pipe from kinking. Better bet would be to find an exhaust shop that is not busy and have them bend up your cage out of 14 gauge aluminized pipe. it's strong and light
Woofhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
danman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I can build a cage with two 21' sticks of sched 40 in about 6 hours. All three have been for buddies, so no labor charge of course. Each one cost less than $100 to build minus the price of the bender. Plus I can say I built it!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
dragos28
Gone Wild

I disagree..
the whole point is that i WANT to do it myself for the gratification of knowing i can do it.

i actually enjoy welding and grinding and measuring and bending and fabricating.
thats the fun part :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Yeah.....I dunno guys, go to this site sponsor: http://xtremecartz.fatcow.com/138823.html and if you scroll down to the third photo, that's what I got 'em to build for my hunting buggy.

Yeah....maybe about $400 with shipping 'n stuff. BUT...no tool to buy. NO pipe to measure and (more importantly) NO pipe to bend. AND even more better, NO pipe to weld or paint or coat. AND even double-secret-probation the best....just bolt it on and your DONE!!

No one can convince me that their time it takes to measure, run for pipe, bend, weld, paint or powder coat (if they have access to this) is worth that kind of $$$$.

Now, this roll cage from Outback Fab, will probably bend and twist should I happen to get into the unfortunate situation that my cart get's rolled.....but I thing it's strong enough to keep the 1,000 pound cart from crunching me into the next world!!

Dave
Old 12-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
dragos28
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
That looks like it would take care of putting indentions around the bends, which is my least favorite part of the HF bender.

Not the best picture, but the best close up pic I have of my cage that was built out of sched 40 1 1/4" and a HF bender.
I just scored some Yamaha Razr seats. 4 of them, two of them have 4 point seat belts!

sweet!
I'll post pics tomorrow.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop