lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #21
bud light
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How everybody heats there garage

I heat my 25X35 garage with wood. 55 gal. barrow kit. Works great.
bud light is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #22
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

WhiteRiver,anything that heats by electric will be expensive to operate.The wattage they use can get very high,very quick.Propane is probably the most reasonable,since you can shop-around for suppliers,and if you run a large tank,like the "Fat-Boy" 100-150gal. units,you can lock in during the summer,when prices are low,and have it filled then.We are on propane for our house,but I'm still running the garage off a 125lb. tank that I can take anywhere to get filled.My fear is that hooking into the house-tank,could run our useage up to much.This way,I'm more careful with my useage.It actually lasts a long time,running it a few hrs.per nite when I'm out there.I run the heater full-blast for about 1/2hr,then turn it to low the rest of the time,if its' really cold,otherwise,I will shut it down until it cools off enough to where I'm not comfortable(I don't mind mid-upper 50s' in a t-shirt when i'm working).That makes a difference too,some like it 70,some 50.That too will help you figure out your needs.Fans are another thing to consider when you have ceilings 10ft or higher.I have one in my garage,it helps a lot(10ft ceilings).Kerosene is better than Diesel,although more expensive,but its' cleaner-burning.If you have access to an Airport,Jet-A is Kerosene,it is usually cheaper too.Wood heats great,but a lot of effort is required too.My buddy has a 36'x80' shop with a wood-furnace,and he runs about 16-20 face-cord per winter,and its' burned down most of the nite,and part of the day(he only feeds it when hes' out there.Then you need access to wood,time to cut,split,stack,and feed the unit.I have almost 50-acres of woods,and won't use wood,since I can't see the benefit,as I don't have the time to spare.Hope this helps.To each his own,these are just some things to consider.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
corkscrew
Gone Wild

I also have a ventfree propane fireplace in the garage. Only have it hooked up to a 20 pound bottle. It does OK but nothing like the wood stove. The best the gas fireplace will do is about 55-60 on cold night. Problem with the gas one is I sometimes forgot to cut heater off late at night, thinking I would work in the garage next day and always something would come up. So I go back to the garage about a week later and out of gas. Cutting wood is alot of work but I heat my house with a water-stove so I have to cut wood. I only burn scrap pieces in the garage, good way to get rid of them. I clear land for a living so I don't buy my wood and I built a huge log splitter about 10 years ago. I still use the gas if I'm only going to be out there about an hour and the project is small. Most of the time if my garage lights are on I will have a few visitors, everybody says they like the wood-stove better. Garage is alot warmer and there hands stay warmer between there 12 oz curls
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #24
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Guys,
I'll have to look into the small propane bottle type of heating. Usually our winters are limited to January and February for really cold weather. I like wood but, don't want to go cutting holes in the roof or walls and I'm usually only in the shop 3 to 4 hrs. at a time so, I think with a fan to push the air around a propane bottle might just do the trick. Did you guys insulate the walls as well as the roof? I always thought 90% of the heat would escape through the roof. Just trying to go the cheapo route!
Thanks
JP
whiteriver23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I have 5/8" fire-board drywall on the walls.no insulation in them.I got the drywall free and wasnt planning on heating the garage when I installed it.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
corkscrew
Gone Wild

My walls have regular 3 1/2" house insulation with 7/16" osb board, the roof has 3" thick 4x8 styrofoam pads. Been planing on concrete the floor but just ain't done it. Think I get alot of cold air from gravel floor. Reason I dont have a concrete floor is I put alot of heavy equipment with tracks in the garage and it would just chip it up after a while.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #27
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Think I may have found the answer. This little hummer with a 20# propane tank ought to do the trick and not that expensive.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_131258-51644...ter&facetInfo=
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mr heater.jpg (53.0 KB, 0 views)
whiteriver23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #28
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I've heard those heaters work pretty good,and they are quiet,which is a plus.The Salamander I use is barely loud enough to even know its' running,but some are really loud.CorkScrew,If you want a floor,go with a heavy-mix(4500-5500psi) fibre-mesh concrete about 6" thick(if you work on heavier machines).Then get some 12" wide harwood planks to run the tracks on.The planks protect the floor,and then the floor is nice for other stuff.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #29
corkscrew
Gone Wild

I have that concrete in my big shop 75x 100, also instead of boards I have 2 pieces of 3'x30' rubber belt from a rock quarry conveyor that works real good. But like I say thats at my big shop across town. I put this little garage up behind the house just to piddle with. Seems like now with all the family and friends I should have built another big shop at home to work out of. Just wanted the garage at the house just to play with but it has turned into a full time work place. I do alot of work out of my big shop and it has pretty much anything I need. The small garage at the house is getting alot more work for small jobs and close friends. At least once a week a person will call about 10 at night for something to be welded or fixed on a bobcat or tractor or something. Not complaining I like the work, and if I can fix it in the small garage late at night instead of going across town at 10 at night I'm game. Guess I need to supply my little garage like my big shop. More money, more money
Old 01-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #30
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I know the feeling.I wrench full-time,got everything I could ever need at work,and can't get to it after-hours.I started doing Road-Service on my own years-ago part-time,so I bought everything again to stock my truck,Got out of that,now my garage is over-full!!I never thought about the belting,why not just get some of that or just a couple planks,throw them outside when you don't need them.I can't wait to move into my shop,I hope to pour the floor in May.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop