lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
SEDUCE
Not Yet Wild

Default Paint help required PLZ

Hey guys i just brought my first cart, its a 1990 Columbia Par Car Petrol.
It has been sitting out in the high temp sun (100-110 degrees F) for the last 6 -8 month before i got it and all the paint had cracked from the sun.

So i am looking at painting it but with a 2 pac pressure cans as i live 2.5 hours from local pannel shop.

So i sanded the old sun cracked paint off with 80 gritt wet and dry and i got most the paint off the front pannel.

What i want to know is do i just lay primer over that sanded surface or shall i rub it back with some 800 gritt paper?
It is pretty smooth so i think it will be ok but i am no painter?

Also what do i do after i have laied the primer do i rub it back and if so with what gritt ?? and once i have sprayed the paint do i rub it back again or just put the clear over the paint??

Like i said i have only ever sprayed paint over dash items before and they turn out ok and never done it properly but i dont mind spending the time and effort in this buggy to make it look half descent.
will show pics of it when i got it and how it is now.
SEDUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
SEDUCE
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Paint help required PLZ

Before I got it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (214.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
SEDUCE
Not Yet Wild

Front sanded
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (175.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
indawoods
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: Paint help required PLZ

After sanding, are you planning to remove the front and rear body panels before spraying? I think you may get a better result if you do. I recently had a factory green Club Car painted metallic beige by a body shop and it turned out dynamite. It wasn't that hard to remove the Club Car body and I had to do it to deliver it to the shop. I'm not sure how hard it is on a Par Car.

Just a thought....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010625.jpg (234.9 KB, 0 views)
indawoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
SEDUCE
Not Yet Wild

Thanks yes I will do once its all rubbed back just easier to sand it when it's mounted I thought.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So if it is a plastic body the first thing you will need to do before primer is spray on some adhesion promoter. This preps the plastic to accept paint. If you don't then you run the risk of all your paint flaking off. After that you can go with the sandable primer and then finish sand with 400 to 600 grit then you are ready to paint. There is a sticky at the top of the paint and body section that explains prep work for plastic bodies with more specifics if you need them. Of course you could always ask more questions if you like and we can walk you through it. Good luck and happy painting.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint