lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
drun
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Painting my CC DS

Got my supplies today:
1 qt - KW-901 grease and wax remover
1 rattle can - SEM 77723 adhesion promoter
1.5 pt - Kustom poly-glaze KPG-101
1 qt Kustom shop KPP-105 gray polyester primer
1 qt - Kustom shop XR70 medium reducer
1 qt - Restoration shop UBLV urethane base coat - pure white
1 qt - Custom shop KC2020 urethane clear
.5 pt - KH2021 urethane hardener
Now for the questions:
1. The counter guy gave me the wrong (KEP-505 DTM epoxy primer) by mistake.
Said they'd exchange it tomorrow. Which is better for a TPO/TEP plastic body?
2. I stripped the main body down to plastic but painted Rustoleum for plastic over the old paint on the cowling. Should I strip the cowling down to bare plastic too or just scuff it and shoot my white base over top of this?
3. I'm doing 2 clears to finish it: #1clear will have purple night-glo in it and #2 clear will have blue ghost pearl in it. Do I need a 3rd clear over this?

Thanks, I'm new at this paint gun stuff!
drun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Painting my CC DS

so my first question is when you say "you stripped the body all the way down to bare plastic" what do you mean by that? Was there a previous coat of paint on there or something? Usually the bodies are molded plastic with the color molded into the plastic. Does the body now have some fuzzy spots where you sanded into the plastic? You need to be real carefull you don't sand to much into the plastic because you then have opened a whole different can of worms. It is not that it can't be fixed but it just takes more time, high build primer and more sanding. I was just curious.

Last edited by master66; 11-20-2013 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: wording
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
drun
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I used "Klean-strip paint remover for airplanes", cause it says "safe for plastics".
The stock finish on these is white and the paint over it was a flat black rattle can?
I tried sand off the black but that didn't work so I went the stripper route.
But that bubbled up the black and the white underneath (bummer).
I'm now down to plastic and need to spray primer and poly-glaze the gouges/scratches.
Should I glaze first or prime first?
Old 11-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
drun
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I used Evercoat Maxim "Multi-fix 100898" for plastic repair that i bought to fix a crack on the right lower corner of the cowling. Says it can also be used to fill scratches and gouges so I gave it a try. Sanded it back down to almost plastic and it's staying put in the scratches/gouges, YEAH!! Going to put a primer coat over this and then glaze whatever shows through.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I personally would do the adhesion promoter first then your high build primer. You then have the plastic all sealed up and can continue from there. Sand your primer in the spots that need repair and then use the glazing putty to fix those areas and then reprime those areas. You then can final sand for paint.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
drun
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I cleaned with grease and wax remover, then applied xxx adhesion promoter, waited 15 minutes, then primed the body and cowl. I sanded my primer to remove the rough spots (too much air pressure). If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll apply the glaze putty. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can get some basecoat on it this weekend. I'm thinking about maybe some blue flames too.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

sounds good. Just don't forget to re prime over the areas you use the filler on as you don't want to base over the filler. After that a little finish sanding then slam on the base coat.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint