lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
russb442
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default using batteries as back up power

I have seen a couple power inverters that work off 24 volt and higher. the output range from 1000 watt at 220 to 3000 watt at 220. Have any one used there carts as a back up power source for there home for short periods? If so how long with the pack last say running 2000 watts at 220? i already have a generator but i try not to keep gas in the tank cause it just doesn't get used often enough and the gas goes bad. in the event of unforeseen power outage. how well would your cart batteries run until gas can be obtain for the generator.

Russ
russb442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Default Re: using batteries as back up power

That does sound like a good way to multi task your batteries. I would think run time would depend on the load.
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
crash test dummy

12v converter is a main stay in my hurricane kit ... i charge my cart to full when we get alert .. if we loose power i would run converter for a few lights at night and tv at news time , i would use 2 6v batteries at a time .. i do have generator but thats for freezer and frig
we have not lost power in 2 years but i'm ready
Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
TreeBass
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Use stabil in your tank, and set up a run schedule to ensure oil, etc are still fine.

We run our generator weekly just to be sure, and stabil works great.

I use it in my boat, and have had to store it for a couple years, no issues with bad gas
TreeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

This is a "best case scenerio", using 48v (8x 6v T-105).
Also, i have no idea how efficient your inverter is, this does not calculate heat losses. This is assuming an inverter is available capable of 48v input (is there one?).

2000w / 220v = 9.09a (see ohms law below)

220v / 48v = 4.583 (it requires 4.853a @ 48v to produce 1a @ 220v)

9.09a x 4.853 = 41.66a (220v = 9.09a So 48v will require 41.66a)

56a / 41.66a = 1.344 (batts rated @ 56a, we will be drawing 41.66a)

105 x 1.344 = 141.12 (batts rated 105 mins @ 56a load)

*Answer* =2:21 at max inverter load (2 hour, 21 mins, discharging your batts from 100% to 20%)

*If you research the efficiency of your inverter, you would multiply this result and the efficiency rate, no power inverter (or any other conversion method i have heard of) is 100% efficient, there are heat losses........ (example 81% = .81 x 2 hour, 21 mins)*
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Dale-D
Gone Wild

Club Car

I connect mine to My pick up truck and let the engine idel
I power all the TV's and 110v lights in my house with them
I ttie it into My electrical panel with a 20 amp 110v breaker
I built My own home and I did the electrical on it, so, I wired ALL of <y lights on one side of My panel so I can power them all by just 1 power inverter

This summer though, I installed a 25kw Generac Natural Gas Geberator, and I no longer need to worry about it,
That thing is automatic, and when I loose power for 15 seconds, it starts up and switches it self online automatically, When power returns, ti switches back off line, cools down and shuts down

Hope this helps you guy's

Dale D
Dale-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
whizzo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I know this is an old thread and its way past haloween( when the dead walk among us)....but worth posting too.

The two major applications for trojan deep cycle batteries are traction (electric vehicles) and off grid power.
In fact the very same models in our carts are very much favoured for certain off grid applications.

The batteries in your cart will work **** fine as a alternative power source.

If you have ya head arround the various issues with batteries and high power DC involved in golf carts, its only a very small step to understanding alternative power.

The voltages, capacities and run times are very similar.

24 and 48 volt inverters are far from uncommon in the alternative power seen

In fact it would not take much to turn a golf cart into some sort of mobile emergency power system.

If you threw a bunch of solar pannels on top inplace of the existing canopy worth a bit of care it could be completely self contained.....park it up in the garrage at night and in the yard or street during the day to charge from the sun.

If some one asks you if you are some sort of "prepper", you can have a llttle smile and just say you are extending the run time of your cart.

Remember if you have a 50 amp anderson plug as a charging connector, it will also work as a power outlet....ya just have to make sure the voltages match.
Not too many 36 volt inverters arround though.

Remember lots of things are available to run direct of the DC these days too.

If you cant buy LED lighting off the shelf for your battery voltage, its not hard to make it up.

Serioulsy chaps, the solar pannels, and throw a generator and ya charger on the back with a few jerries of fuel and you could disappear into the woods for months.

cheers
whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop