lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
mlj427
Gone Wild

Default Rattle canned now how to make it shine

I painted my Yamaha g14 with rattle cans the color is good but there is over spray and some areas with no shine. I do not have a buffer so I do not think I should wet sand and buff. What type of wax, cleaner wax, polish, or what ever should I use to improve the finish by hand? Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rattle canned now how to make it shine

Personally I would just put some rattle can clear over it to give it the gloss you want. Also you should never put wax over a paint job you just completed without letting it dry for about 30 days. The paint is still letting off gasses and the wax can seal them in and possibly bubble the paint.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
mlj427
Gone Wild

It has been over 2 months sitting after I painted it. Got side tracked with other stuff. The body is back on the cart so the clear probably won't work on this one. Just not sure if I should use a rubbing compound, polish, or a cleaner wax, or something else to clean up some of the over spray.
Thanks
Mike
Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
mlj427
Gone Wild

Just a thought would a clay bar help with the over spray?
Thanks
Mike
Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
mazdawg(Mikey)
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

id try rattle can clear to get it to shine. its hard to make something shine that isnt made to. the rattle can paint is mostly a base coat with a sealer. it needs something to make it shiny. as far as the overspray you could use laquer thinner and a rag depending on what the overspray is on.
mazdawg(Mikey) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

just to clarify what Mikey said. Do not use laquer thinner on the painted body parts to remove overspray as it will remove ALL the paint. I think he is reffering to trim peices.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
mlj427
Gone Wild

Yes I found that out prepping the body and cleaning glue from stickers off. And to clarify when I say overspray I'm talking a texture on the paint when you spray one side and the mist falls back on dried paint almost feels like sand paper only very light. I do appreciate all of the advice.
Thanks
Mike
Old 10-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
mazdawg(Mikey)
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

yeah i said depending on what the overspray is on. sorry i should have clarified more, my bad
mazdawg(Mikey) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ah it's all good! You are right though that definatly would have removed the overspray.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Only way I know is wet sand or stone. If you use say 1500 or 2000 you could take that out by hand, its some work to polish out but a cart is small and usually only need to do the flat parts you notice it on most. Can paint is a pain as its not hardened, easy to burn with a wheel. I'd try a cleaner on it to polish it and see if that works, if you have to go to a compound then you do cleaner after....a polish at end if needed. The finer paper you use the easier it is to polish out, or finish with fine paper at least.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint