lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
rib33024

Default Re: rattle can or no-rattle can

The #3 coat of paint has nothing to do with the stripes, the stripes are there because you have to have a even wet coat on the whole surface start to finish, the stripes are there because it is wetter in some areas and dry in others, it is very very hard to get a even coat with a spray can on a large surface, it can be done but it takes practice, it's hard to get a nice wet coat with out the paint running, a nice calm NO wind area helps alot with spray cans

I sprayed this cart with the 1 dollar spray cans from HD, and that is the can of cleaner i wiped it down with before i sprayed it you can read it in the pic

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice job Rib! Did you wet sand afterwards?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Nice job Rib! Did you wet sand afterwards?
no wet sanding there, just get it wet and kept it wet all the way from start to finish, but like i said it's hard to do with a can, if your moving to slow it will run, and if your to fast it will be dry, just takes a lot of practice, and there is two different spray tips, one in a narrow, real hard to get the paint to flow, and there is a wide spray tip that's a lot easier, and another trick is the shorter your spray distance is the easier it is to keep it wet.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just did a third coat today, don't have pics of it yet. To help it not dry out in the FL heat, I laid it down in the shade in the morning. It is better than the second coat, but nowhere near as nice as your rattlecan job.

I am assuming I will have to wet-sand it if I want it to be really nice. I just need to decide if that is a step I want to do or not. I am assuming the latest coat comes out nice when dry. Hopefully it'll still be light outside when I get home from work and I can get a good look at it.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I looked closely and the 'flat' looking section of paint contains thousands of bumps! The bumps weren't there when I did the primer... Maybe something partially blocked the paint nozzle?

So it appears wet sanding will be the ticket. I picked up some 400 and 600 this weekend. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it this week sometime.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

Might I suggest maybe start with a higher grit. 400 to 600 grit will go through your paint very quickly. Be careful.
sak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks sak.

What grit would you start with? I have never wet-sanded anything before so this is a first for me. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

I usually do a 600/800/1000 then cut and polish with a compound. Comes out nice on cheaper paints. They just don't sand down quite is nice as high quality auto paints but still end up looking good.

My $0.02
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Kiteboard. From your suggestion I decided to order some 1000 grit online.

any recommendations on the actual wet-sanding process? Short strokes, circle patterns, does that matter? Do I have to keep flowing water on the surface, or just being sprayed once I can then sand away?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #20
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

I think the 1000 will do just fine. It may take abit longer but sand through your paint will take longer to fix. I would sand with a light mist coming out of your hose. I find it easier than screwing with a bucket.
sak00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rattle can spray paint
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint