lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

Default looking to buy a welder

the time has come for me to upgrade to a bigger more powerful welder. i know i can get a good 230v lincoln (not sure on amperage, but maybe around 200a) for about a $1000. i was just looking around and ran across this machine from northern tools. now im sure this isnt the best welder in the world, but it seems pretty versital for what im looking for. my current welder is a 115v gas lincoln that has served me very well, but now im looking for a little more power and some flexability.

let know what you think of this machine for hobbiest use.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0163_200520163
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
aviator160
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: looking to buy a welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake80 View Post
the time has come for me to upgrade to a bigger more powerful welder. i know i can get a good 230v lincoln (not sure on amperage, but maybe around 200a) for about a $1000. i was just looking around and ran across this machine from northern tools. now im sure this isnt the best welder in the world, but it seems pretty versital for what im looking for. my current welder is a 115v gas lincoln that has served me very well, but now im looking for a little more power and some flexability.

let know what you think of this machine for hobbiest use.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0163_200520163
Just food for thought, you might consider the Thermal Arc 211i We have had a lot of success with it and its a Mig Stick Tig Machine for just a bit more money and has good factory representation. We also sell many other manufactures machines. Much more than on our web site.
PM me if you would like to know more.
aviator160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
LakeNut
Not Yet Wild

For your price point, I would consider this:
http://m.cyberweld.com/mi211migwewi.html

I have a 140as that I bought before this existed. Any issues I have had have been self inflicted. (Mig gun clamp loose, gun pushing forward, and shielding gas leaking)(bad grounding, dirty liner, worn contact tip, dirty drive wheels)

If I were doing it again the 211 would be a strong contender, if I didn't go even bigger.

Though when it comes to TIG,I will admit I'm having a tougher time selling myself on a dynasty 200DX vs some of the import competition.
LakeNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

tig to me isnt a big requirement, but i wont turn it down either as ive wanted a tig for a while. im really not concerned with arc but with a all in one machine why not have it. my company is a rep for thermal arc, but we dont really deal with welders so i get no feed back on them. i did watch some videos on youtube about them and after what aviator said about having good luck with them im pretty interested in finding out more about them. i really just want to make sure that im getting the penitration that im looking for.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
aviator160
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeNut View Post
For your price point, I would consider this:
http://m.cyberweld.com/mi211migwewi.html

I have a 140as that I bought before this existed. Any issues I have had have been self inflicted. (Mig gun clamp loose, gun pushing forward, and shielding gas leaking)(bad grounding, dirty liner, worn contact tip, dirty drive wheels)

If I were doing it again the 211 would be a strong contender, if I didn't go even bigger.

Though when it comes to TIG,I will admit I'm having a tougher time selling myself on a dynasty 200DX vs some of the import competition.
I have sold the dynasty 200DX as well,,, and my machine I own is a Lincoln Stick Tig inverter that I have much more money in that the market we are talking about. I was just suggesting another option that was reasonably close in price that I have been impressed with of late and have sold several.
Self inflicted is a great way to put it,,, Most the time its the minor details that are adding up to the problems,, not the machine or filler metal or material.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

It would be really cool if you could try out welders before you bought them. Its like buying a truck without ever driving it.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
aviator160
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake80 View Post
It would be really cool if you could try out welders before you bought them. Its like buying a truck without ever driving it.
My Victor Technologies <This company owns Thermal Arc> Rep carries equipment to do demos with in his truck. Check with your Local Welding Supply Distributor or call Thermal Arc and find out who the Manufactures Rep is for your area, you can get a demo set up. We do this all the time here anyway.
I would advise that something to consider when purchasing equipment. If during and after the sale you have support and not replying on trying to get that support just over the phone with someone on the other side of the world.
To bad your outside of my territory.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
RobCons
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a Lincoln 180 that works great. I am an ornamental ironworks guy and it easily handles the material I work with. Look on Ebay, mine was around $600 - $650 shipped to the door.
RobCons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
racin161
Gone Wild

160 is correct Check with Welding supply dealers Ck Supply Miller Hobart Lincoln they can set up a display believe me they want your cash. I'd steer away from off brands just describe to them what your purpose is going to be and go from there.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. I'm still looking around some
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center