lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Sheet Metal Tools?

I've been looking at the fine metal work some of you have been doing, especially the ones making the Jeep look-a-like bodies.

I've been looking at purchasing or making a brake. But I found something I think may help although I'm sure I'll need more than just this.

I also thought it would be good for making the shock mounts so they are adjustable and also making new shock mounts for on the lower arms on my G1.

It's a 30" Brake, Shear and Slip Roller from HF. But I also found one on ebay that is a 12" andd wondered if I could get by with it as it's priced better.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Sheet Metal Tools?

Well, I made a Jeep look-a-like body and I don't have any sheet metal tools other than a plasma cutter which I could have done without.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ron, what did you do to make all the bends and such in the sheet metal on your cart?

I am thinking about the sheet metal tools for the edges and bends and such.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Check my build thread, page 37 here is one example. Go through the entire thread for more.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...-geep1-37.html

Old 03-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ron, Thanks.

It's definate, "Where There Is A Will, There Is A Way!"
Old 03-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindawg View Post
Ron, Thanks.

It's definate, "Where There Is A Will, There Is A Way!"

Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm still saving my pennies for the 3in1 tool. But think I want the 30" model. Think it will be worth the extra $$ over the 12".

I would like to talk to someone that has used one and see if they are happy with it.

This would go great with my growing shop of tooling.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I"m heading too Virginia on Saturday if the snow doesn't change those plans. On the way, I'm going thru Ohio. I found one of the 3in1's and am going to stop and look at it, probably purchase it.

My wife will be soooooo Happy. LOL
Old 03-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

There are tons of ways and things to make tools out of for sheet metal tools. Nice thing about it is some of the best things for sheet metal are made, not bought! a couple of cheaper things you can pick up for sheet metal fab are a mallet and a shot bag or sand bag. a lot of curves can be done that way. also another tool to pick up fairly cheap is a small planishing hammer. or at least the mount for it and then add your own air hammer if you have it. Once I picked up was great and the cheapest so far. My inlaws gave me a 3ft tall 12" diameter tree trunk. I took it and used an assortment of tools to create a bowl shapped dish in one end of the trunk, then flipped it and dished the other side in an oval. Now I can form all kinds of pieces with my mallets, deadblows, body hammers etc Great for curved sheetmetal work. when i get back home I will try and get you a pic of it. I am also picked up a couple of anvils and made one from a piece of rail road track I got from my grandpa. the tool selection is only limited by your imagination. if you want to do something like the bends New Guy did on the jeep, head out to the local pick a part yard and get you the largest diameter drive shaft you can find. get it home, take the u-joints and yokes out and use the shaft to bend your curves with. Have seen some mounted to tables or others just park their trucks on the shaft to hold it and start bending!

Hope this give you some ideas.

Good luck

Arin
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I do some sheet-metal work occasionally at work,and they don't have a brake.I use 2-pieces of 2" channel,clamped in a vise.It works really good.I clamp a long piece of flat-bar to the underside at the top of the channel,and use the vise-grips as a handle.Make do,with what you have,if you can buy equipment,do it.I have a 100-ton Hydraulic Press-Brake in storage,since my shop isn't ready yet.I can't wait to be able to finally use it!!!
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop