lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
SatinDucky
Not Yet Wild

Red face Newbie paint job on a G9

Well, ya see.... our golf cart needed new brake shoes in back... that's how it all started.

I just read a thread about biting off more than you can chew. No question about it. We have! LOL

As we were sitting in the golf cart shop we happened to mention this sideways dome shaped thing under the seat that had a large crack in it. The guy said"Oh, that's the clutch bell and if it's cracked, you've thrown a weight". Turned out to be two of them broken. Boy, getting the darn clutch off was a bugger, but that's neither here nor there. As we leave the shop we decided to browse through the new carts. Knowing they're way out of our budget we decided to spruce ours up a bit so we wouldn't shame the neighborhood anymore.

I actually found you forum while trying to figure out what year/model our cart is, what kind of brakes to get and then info on replacing the clutch. Did it ever dawn on me BEFORE we started trying to paint the thing to look in here and study people who know what they're doing? Nope. We just kept pulling pieces off, sanding a part there, priming a piece here and spraying paint on whatever we thought might be ready. Now I know we've done everything WRONG except taking it apart to do the painting. We've spent most of the evening scraping off paint and primer that were put on today before it dries fully. In between while our sore fingers rest, making a list of thing we need to buy tomorrow, like wax and grease remover, adhesive promoter, etc that we had no idea we needed...Mind you, this wont ever be a show piece like most of yours. It's a hauling/gardening buggy, a work horse... but hopefully a decent looking buggy if we ever get our act together and get it done.

I don't actually have any new questions yet, since everything I've read has showed me that we know nothing. I just thought I'd give ya a laugh and let you see our mess of mistakes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G9a.jpg (101.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg G9b.jpg (41.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg G9c.jpg (40.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg G9d.jpg (34.5 KB, 49 views)
SatinDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
K9Kev
Say What ???

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie paint job on a G9

Well it sure seems you have a good attitude about your adventures

There is a good amount of knowledge and experiences to be found here.

Good luck on your quest.......

So,,,,,when you gonna get a lift and some tires on that thing...Lol

WELCOME to BGW !!
K9Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Welcome to BGW!

Hope to see pics of your progress!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
SatinDucky
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the welcome

I probably should have put this in the Yamaha section instead of paint since the repairing looks like it's going to be as much work, if not more, than the painting. I don't suppose there is a way for a Mod to move it?

The more we take apart and notice the physical damage to the body, the more discouraged I get. I'm afraid to even consider looking hard at the motor and underworkings!

Did G9's come with the roof? I'm positively sure that it was NOT made this way. The supports are chopped flat at the top and have chewed holes in the roof. Not a clue how to stop it from happening again after we repair the holes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

That cart is actually a G2 not a G9. The G2 has the aluminum with black strip around the cowl while the G9 has a black rubber trim.
The G2 has tubular A arms and the G9 has a more square looking stamped A arm.
Both G2 and G9 rear roof support should come out of the side pillar, go up, across and then down the other side into the other pillar.
Don't be discuraged it will get done in time.
Don't hesitate to ask questions if you run across something you're not sure of.
Both G2 and G9 are great carts.

And Welcome to BGW!!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
SatinDucky
Not Yet Wild

It's a G2?? Well now... umm.. are there any other differences between the two that I should probably know about? LOL What year was the G2 made? We really don't know much of anything about this buggy. There is no serial # or tags on it. The lower frame is seriously rusted so if it was stamped there, it's gone. Maybe the G2 has it in a different place.

I suspected the roof support should have been one piece like you described, but someone must've chopped it off before the bend. I think we'll have to try to find a replacement so the ends don't make more holes in the roof. Anyone know where this square type tubing can be found?

What are A arms?

We're still taking it apart. I discovered that it had been painted before so there's a whole lot of cracked paint to scrape off.

It's supposed to rain all week so we just got it pushed up onto the covered porch so we can keep working on it. We're still scrubbing and dissolving rust on it and that can't be done in the garage.

Thanks for the info and encouragement!

I looked up where the serial is on a G2 and I found it! 1987 G2 You're awesome. Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center