lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
motoman197
Not Yet Wild

Default welder?

what welder would you guys recommend for just stuff that applies to these carts? i want a mig, just dont know much other specs about them.
motoman197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2007, 06:04 AM   #2
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: welder?

Miller or a Hobart
tungpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Check this thread!!

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/desig...40-welder.html

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
BAXTER72
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungpo1 View Post
Miller or a Hobart
I think that Miller owns Hobart now so either brand is great,
Although in my opinion Miller is the best that is out there.
BAXTER72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Clayboy
Gone Wild

I have a Hobart 140, it's the only welder I have ever owned, but I am very satisfied with it. I use Miller products at work and believe they are a top notch welder also. Whatever brand you go with, make sure it is a true mig and can be used with gas.
Clayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
zro
Ragged Squirrel

Yamaha

moto,
if you buy a 110 volt mig welder, just keep in mind that you are limited on your reach...dont grab a 50 or 100 foot extention cord and think you can weld your way around the worl.you will have a loss of power big time.if you need a cord to get closer to your work, make sure it is 12 gauge or bigger.a regular ext. cord is like 14 or 16 guage and not quite big enough.i used a piece of house wiring and went into the breaker box and put a electrical box and plug on the other end. kind of a hard wired extention cord.
good luck in your search.both miller and hobart are great welders and so is the lincoln that i have. i have been a welder for 22 years,from shipyards to you name it.

mike
zro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
rdnktrkr
Getting Wild

I use a L-TEC, it is a predecessor to the ESABS. I found mine through a welding supply house that had some older ones out back, if you ever decide to try welding aluminum you will need either a spool gun or a TIG. The smaller units that I've used before had a short duty cycle, it would have to "cycle" during long welds on thicker material. If you have a welding supplier close to your house I would check and see what they carry, that way you can get any parts easily. Good Luck Greg
rdnktrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
wingnut
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Just to add my two cents in on the conversation. I have an older Hobart Handler 135 which is now the 140 and I have had nothing but good luck with it. If your just a beginner or a highly credited metal melter the 140 will do all you need it to do in the garage. Yes its only rated for "up to" 1/4" material if you bevel the edges onthe material being welded the penetration is more than effective. Another nice thing about the Hobart is that its uses all Miller parts which are readily avaliable at your local Tractor supply, Home Deppot or even Lowes.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #9
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have a Lincon 175 now a 180 by going with a 220 cheeper to run says can weld to 1/2 inch but lets face it 1/4 is as thick as you need most of the time. Plus can do alum with right gas. Thinking next one will be a tig welder hate having to go borrow brother-in-laws when wanting to do some alum the right way.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:48 AM   #10
RazBarlow
Gone Wild

I have had a 110v welder and hated it , it is a craftsman (made by Century) . I then went out and spent the 4, I got a Hobart Ironman 210 220V welder and it welds to beat the band ! She will make the "frying bacon" sound at a pull of the trigger.
My .02, don't even mess with the 110V go with at least a 185Amp 220V welder.
And like someone said ,Hobart is made by Miller and their parts interchange.So, you can't go wrong.
Raz
RazBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop