lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2022, 07:55 PM   #1
Alloyvert
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Finally made the Lithium plunge!

The inevitable happened early last fall as the original batteries in my 2012 G29 finally started showing their age. I am very impressed they lasted this long, but planned to do the upgrade once they finally needed to be replaced.

I did a lot research over the winter and the EcoBattery perked my interest. After finding a dealer about 15 minutes from the house, the decision was easy.

As it turns out, the owner and I are acquaintances as we met about 8 years ago via an airgun forum. So I stopped by today to pick up the kit and started prepping the cart for the install. Since the battery floor area has raised ribs, I had to get creative and used some scrap MDO plywood to build a base. I used the table saw to cut grooves in the bottom to clear the floor ribs and added some padded shelf liner on the bottom to help with rattles.

I need to hit the hardware store later in the week to pick up some threaded rod to secure the battery and some longer self tapping screws for the charger. Also need to figure out a mount for the gauge. But that should be easy enough as I picked up a 3D printer over the winter and a mount should be a quick little project.

I also need to make the needed adjustment to the max current once it is installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0447.jpg (109.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0448.jpg (99.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0449.jpg (93.2 KB, 0 views)
Alloyvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2022, 06:46 AM   #2
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Finally made the Lithium plunge!

Congrats and good luck with the install. Looks like your off to a great start. Swapping the 2001 Club Car I had to lithium was the best thing I ever did to that cart. If I ever have another electric cart, it will promptly be converted to lithium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #3
Alloyvert
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Finally made the Lithium plunge!

Picked up the needed h/w to complete the install, but need to grab a neighbor tomorrow to help drop the battery into place. Designed and printed v1 gauge mount, but I want to add a personality switch and v2 will incorporate it. And instead just buying one from Alltrax, I want to make it. So I ordered the switch, pins and connectors. Just need to hit another local store to grab a 18 awg 3 conductor cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 60C082E0-18A6-40A4-9390-9AF508B04A8E.jpeg (111.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 94C8949E-D551-454F-B159-4C0C47515479.jpeg (106.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-18-2022, 06:55 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good choice.I just did the Eco 72ah install last week. My cart gained so much pep - I love it. Such a simple installation. I swear the hardest part was running the monitor wire up to the dash!
Looks good, keep us posted.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:03 PM   #5
Alloyvert
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

You are correct as I messed around with the gauge wiring and mount for a couple hours this morning. After getting the cable routed through the floor trough, I rethought the mount and remembered I had an unused gauge pod that I bought for another project. The ID was a bit too small, but a recently purchased oscillating drum sander made short work addressing that issue. To allow the mount to fit flat, the printer came in handy to create a thin spacer.

Still awaiting some help for the battery install as all the neighbors are doing their normal weekend sports stuff with the kids. In my younger years, I would have just wrestled the battery into place. But my older and wiser mind thought better of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Gauge mount spacer.jpeg (100.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg Gauge mounted.jpeg (98.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #6
Alloyvert
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It’s alive! I just need need to adjust the tune, but I want to chat with Don about a couple other tweaks before making the max current change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Gauge after power up.jpeg (103.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg Battery install complete.jpeg (119.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-23-2022, 08:07 PM   #7
Alloyvert
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I decided to just build a personality switch along with designing a mount for the battery area. Printed the switch mount last night while assembling the harness and just got it installed. Next up is to chat with Don and add the new profiles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2305C08A-A985-47E2-BEF5-FBE264D1EEC7.jpeg (80.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 833FEAC8-029E-46DE-B384-C83000050380.jpeg (91.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-07-2022, 11:25 AM   #8
Tbones
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I did also, well myself and friend that split our 2013 G29 we bought last year. fairly straight forward and not too tough to do. The only thing I wasn't found of was the battery turn back on button as I call it, but that is an easy fix and mount it was the battery meter used to be.

So now onto our issue, once done we have no headlights, have tails though. Got power and the harness to them, but from there forward nothing. upon checking on things, begun to wonder if the battery type switch killed them? or maybe just a kawinkydink that those seem to be our only issue, and thoughts or insights on our issue? Thanks in advance

PS we chose the Relion Lithium, and started with 3 and a dummy, since it seems so easy to add a 4th should we feel we need that power extra juice, but our home course is fairly flat with paved paths.

Travis

Last edited by Tbones; 04-07-2022 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: added info
Tbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha