lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2021, 06:28 PM   #1
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Rear helper spring install help

Hey folks, I did do research on this before making a post but didn't find anything on what I'm having trouble with. If the arched helper spring goes below my factory less arched leaf spring the ends of the helper touch the old springs before the center of the springs do leaving a big gap to try to overcome to get the new center bolt in. How did you get the helper springs to get close enough to the factory spring to get the bolt through and tighten it down? The website where I purchased them did say this helper goes below the factory spring which is located below my axle. Then the helper would sit on top of the lower support plate and below the factory spring. Unless the description is wrong. Can anyone offer any insight? I appreciate any help!
MYCART8A4RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Rear helper spring install help

I assume this post is why you removed the u-bolts in the shackle post. Again I suggest getting everything back to normal, then install the longer shackles by jacking up the cart frame.

Once you do that and have completed the new shackle install, you can proceed with the helper springs, if in fact they are necessary at that point.

Unless you routinely carry a lot of passengers or weight, the ride will not be very comfortable. And you need to get longer shocks as the originals will be past full extension.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
I assume this post is why you removed the u-bolts in the shackle post. Again I suggest getting everything back to normal, then install the longer shackles by jacking up the cart frame.

Once you do that and have completed the new shackle install, you can proceed with the helper springs, if in fact they are necessary at that point.

Unless you routinely carry a lot of passengers or weight, the ride will not be very comfortable. And you need to get longer shocks as the originals will be past full extension.
Thank you for replying. I must have the new shackles too long as the spring will not pull down enough to line up with the new shackle holes. I read here they should be about 6 inches long to get my desired height

The helper spring arch is much greater than the factory spring creating a gap between them in the middle where they bolt together. The gap is much greater than the bolt length as if I need to find a way to compress the helper spring in order to bolt them together. I was under the impression the helper spring would easily lay against the factory spring at a slightly lesser arch and only be needed at a certain load once the factory spring flattens out. The springs I recieved are 2 feet long with high arches and is described to mount under the factory spring. But if you can picture a shorter spring with a greater arch under the factory spring it would only hit on the two ends making the center too far away to mount the springs together.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #4
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Tom also on what you were saying I do have the shock extenders to compensate for the height difference and from what I understand from research here, the helper spring is much better than any of the other spring sets in terms of ride quality. My brother has the HD springs on his cart and it's really stiff out back. I did a bunch of research on how I could relieve the rubbing with passengers on the back on my cart and still have a good ride when just myself or the wife and I are on the cart and all suggestions pointed to the helper spring. I do have a back seat kit and previously we would always rub when we had passengers in the back. Since I'm going with taller tires the extended shackles will only put me back to where I was previously with the stock shackles and 18" tires so the helper spring will be needed once I put people on the back with the new set up.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:53 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #6
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks Tom, you have been a huge help!
Old 05-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #7
CustomCurt
Gone Wild

unbolt the shocks. after that you can use lanmps to bring the spring parts together using a long bolt to ceep the center pin in line, your gonna fine when yourdone but you will need to make some shock extensions
CustomCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomCurt View Post
unbolt the shocks. after that you can use lanmps to bring the spring parts together using a long bolt to ceep the center pin in line, your gonna fine when yourdone but you will need to make some shock extensions
Thanks for your input, A few questions if you don't mind. I do have extensions that I used since I extended the shackles for a little lift in the rear but I'm assuming this helper leaf will add some lift or you wouldnt have mentioned the shock extensions. It's this true? Or are you just suggesting the thickness of the added leaf will require the extension? Lastly, will I have any issues since the leafs won't be bandned together, could the helper leaf possible turn on me? Would a lock washer hold them together enough to keep it from turning? Thank you for your help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car