lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default How common are warped drums on golf carts?

Noticed when I was pushing my golf cart the other day (haven't pushed it in a while) it felt like the brakes were grabbing and letting go. I just jacked it up and spun the suspect wheel and it certainly was free for the majority of the turn and grabbed in a spot. Im gonna pop the drum off this afternoon to have a look and clean everything up.

I dont feel it when driving and the breaks work great but I am curious. Is it common to get warped drums on a golf cart?

Thanks!
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How common are warped drums on golf carts?

I have been working on cars, not carts for a very long time and have never seen or heard of a drum warping. Id be willing to bet that one of the shoes are sticking. A good cleaning and adjustment should get you back as good as new.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just popped everything off and it looks great. I gave it a good spray with parts cleaner and it looks brand new. I don't feel like a carts drum centers up as well on the hub as a cars does. I use a couple of nuts to hold it on while I spin it with the wheels off and I feel like I can shift the drum around to make it really lock up or mess with it and have it just slightly rub. Looks like a top adjustment point and a lower where the lever comes in, judging by it having more material on the bottom Im gonna see about pulling the tops of the pads back.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Im going to put everything back together but I wondering if I have a brake pad compatibility issue, which seems strange because it did brake good. I have read that the self adjusting brakes are labeled 17T and 17L while all the manual brake pads have a 10 on them. My drivers side has a unmarked pad on the front side and a J10 pad on the back, on the passenger side I have a 17L on the front and an umarked but says TSS or SST on the back side.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The "Leading" shoe goes on the back.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does it matter that I am mixed with J10 shoes? I only have the one Leading show the rest are either unmarked or the J10 manual adjustment shoes.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As far as compatibility between the different types of brake assemblies I have no idea.

I would imagine someone like David (tahoedawgz71) would know the details.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Figured I would follow up to this in case anyone ever searches for it. So after talking to Dave at Revolution golf cart drums warping are pretty common, makes sense due to it being the primary (only) brakes on the cart. IMO its probably more common on hopped up carts that stop from much higher speeds with more weight and bigger tires. I replaced with new drums and the tight spot has gone away when pushing.

As far as the shoes go the J10 pads are the correct ones for manual adjustment and Dave told me that one of the pads from the adjuster model was the exact same as that J10 and I am going to assume its the L, leading, shoe because that's what's on mine and the breaks are working fine. Gong to look into discs next time this thing needs some work.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car