lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #1
bigern77
Not Yet Wild

Default Batteries bleeding out

So a couple of my pretty new 8 vlt batteries seem to be bleeding out the top full holes. Not much but enough to notice. They are interstate brand. Should I be worried??
bigern77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2016, 12:20 AM   #2
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Batteries bleeding out

Did you overfill the batteries? How old are the batteries?
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:45 AM   #3
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Batteries bleeding out

My interstates did more so when new but still do ocassionally after I fill them and for the first few charges. Fill to 1/4'' above the plates with distilled water. I know that can be hard to judge.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:00 AM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigern77 View Post
So a couple of my pretty new 8 vlt batteries seem to be bleeding out the top full holes. Not much but enough to notice. They are interstate brand. Should I be worried??
Just a couple and not all of them?

How much is not much but enough to notice?

And how new is pretty new?

Batteries generally should not expel acid for any reason unless they themselves are having issues. What are your per battery voltages?

Have you mistakenly over filled the cells? If they have been filled up into the filler necks they may not have enough available air space to vent properly.

As it seems you have have some previous charger issues we have to ask was this resolved, and what charger are you using today? As if your batteries are undersized or if your charger is over sized you could be gassing more than normal...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
SparkDr
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Not to hijack the thread, but I have some battery acid left over from a new motorcycle battery fill, but I also have distilled water. Any recommendation as to which I should use when needing to top off the batts for the 1st time? Common sense would say to use that acid, but it doesn't hurt to ask. My cart batteries are new as of this past fall.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I have some battery acid left over from a new motorcycle battery fill, but I also have distilled water. Any recommendation as to which I should use when needing to top off the batts for the 1st time? Common sense would say to use that acid, but it doesn't hurt to ask. My cart batteries are new as of this past fall.
No common sense says to use only distilled water... Batteries gas out a water vapor when charging not acid. If you add acid to your already pre-filled battery you stand a very good chance of getting the concentration much too high which will be damaging to the cell itself... Only trained battery techs who have the proper tools ever adjust the acid concentration on high dollar UPS battery systems....
Old 04-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
bigern77
Not Yet Wild

i just bought these batteries in January. By not much is maybe like a couple of spoon fulls around one or two tops. I did get the battery charger fixed, I bought a new one, I can not remember the brand but I know it is a good one. I have not filled them ever, I should look at the level when I get home this afternoon to make sure all is ok. i will check the brand of the charger and the voltage for each one also. Is it safe to leave the charger connected even after the batteries are full charge? thanks for the advice here guys!!
bigern77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigern77 View Post
... Is it safe to leave the charger connected even after the batteries are full charge? thanks for the advice here guys!!
A properly sized and functioning charger absolutely! My DPI charger stays plugged into my cart 24/7 and previous to that the stock Power Drive was also plugged in 24/7 too....
Old 04-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #9
Luke Duke
Getting Wild

Get something like this so you don't overfill your batteries.
Plews 75-030 Auto Shut Off 2 Quart Capacity Plastic Battery Filler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RFUF12/
Luke Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car