lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #21
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Nothing like being in a shop retired.
Which welders do you have ?

Twenty years ago, I bought a Century 130 120v from one of my brother's bar buddies. He was desperate for 75 bucks. I still use the crap out of that thing for small jobs. Including pushing aluminum wire to build the windows on my concession trailer.

I have since inherited a Century 180 240V, and a Lincoln AC 225 that is as old as I am. I'm finding out that AC stick welders are not what they are cracked up to be, and are very particular on what rods they will run. I'm always keeping my eyes open for a DC stick/ TIG machine. I ended up using the Century 180 to build a log splitter for the skid steer. Learning from weld.com allowed me to weld thicker material than it was designed for by beveling, and making multiple passes.

One of the welders at work has been giving me some lessons on the TIG machines there, so my next goal is to get proficient at that. I have a lot of stainless projects in mind.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2020, 08:57 AM   #22
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Trig, are you sure that's a welder, and not a floor scrubber?

EDIT: Joking aside, I had to research that R2D2 welder, and found out that they use an AC motor to drive a DC generator to make pure DC current. That's pretty cool.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #23
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post

EDIT: Joking aside, I had to research that R2D2 welder, and found out that they use an AC motor to drive a DC generator to make pure DC current. That's pretty cool.
Yes, they are great welders, just loud. Very loud. I think mine was made in 1953 .
The problem I have now is my eyesight is not as good as when I young so I have my grinder on standby
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #24
miker
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Wow I've never seen a welder like that! Looks like a droid from star wars
these are not the welders you are looking for, oops droids
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:57 PM   #25
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:

cart around , its been called several things over the years. I think it is referred to as a Torpedo style . This old Lincoln is a piece of history and old like me lol

Lincwelder DC-250-MK
Old 12-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #26
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I meant to say it is called R2D2 Coffee Grinder.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:39 PM   #27
morvolts2
Gone Wild

Quote:
Twenty years ago, I bought a Century 130 120v from one of my brother's bar buddies. He was desperate for 75 bucks. I still use the crap out of that thing for small jobs. Including pushing aluminum wire to build the windows on my concession trailer.

I have since inherited a Century 180 240V, and a Lincoln AC 225 that is as old as I am. I'm finding out that AC stick welders are not what they are cracked up to be, and are very particular on what rods they will run. I'm always keeping my eyes open for a DC stick/ TIG machine. I ended up using the Century 180 to build a log splitter for the skid steer. Learning from weld.com allowed me to weld thicker material than it was designed for by beveling, and making multiple passes.

One of the welders at work has been giving me some lessons on the TIG machines there, so my next goal is to get proficient at that. I have a lot of stainless projects in mind.
try the 7018AC rods
nice welds with an AC machine.
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #28
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:

I have since inherited a Century 180 240V, and a Lincoln AC 225 that is as old as I am. I'm finding out that AC stick welders are not what they are cracked up to be, and are very particular on what rods they will run.
It’s the rods that are picky, Not so much the machine.
I like using 6013 rods for a lot of things because they will run on AC and DC+/-.
They don’t weld nearly as nice as a 7018, but a 7018 prefers DCEP polarity. You can make it work on AC, but it may take some patience and practice, and the results will not be as good. 6013 on AC is more forgiving than 7018 on AC.

There is a 7018AC rod but it’s going to cost more, and will be more difficult to find at a regular hardware store. Any welding supply store will have almost any rod you want/need.

6010 and 6011 rods are high penetration rods and are great for thicker material or metal that is rusty to make an initial cleaning pass, but 6010 will NOT run on AC (a pro welder can probably make it work, but most people will not be able to do anything with it) and 6011 can be used on AC but it will be very temperamental. Both produce very high spatter (hence the deeper penetration), so neither are used as a filling rod.

Most Stick/Tig combo machines will run AC as well as DCEP/EN. IMO you are better off with a machine that is easy to switch polarity so you are not so limited on rod selection or on what you can do with the machine. Learning which electrodes work better for which task will make a Huge difference in your weld quality, and will give you much stronger and cleaner welds. Less burn-through, less undercut, and less chance of gorilla snot/ cold welds.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:51 AM   #29
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

I wound up with a Lincoln AC 225 stick welder.......

Here is a video of my very first weld, okay all you experts out there,
STOP LAUGHING

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210109_154114.jpg (224.8 KB, 0 views)
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #30
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

I forgot to say thank you to all the guys out there who had their input, I ended up with that welder that is shown, for $160
The price is what told me to say load it up!!!!! (Wich by the way is real heavy!!!!)
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop