lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
6point1SRT
Getting Wild

Default 2010 Precedent Radio and Lights Install

I just completed an install of reducer, speakers, amp, and lights on a 2010 Precedent. I would not have been able to do it without the help of this forum, so I figured I would post what I did and what problems I ran into.

First off the items I had to buy for this:

48 to 12 Volt Reducer - MadJax
Seagate Fuse block
Basic Light Kit w/bucket hareness (no brake switch, turn signals, or horn)
Pyle Marine Amp
Infinity Shallow-mount 6.5" speakers
1" Speaker Plates and grills
Brake Switch
Misc. wires and connectors

Being a 2010 with the 6 8V battery set-up, I decided on the 48-12 volt reducer to draw the battery pack evenly. Also, anything from 2008.5 and up does not come with the factory lights wiring harness, so I needed that. I used the Seagate fuse block so everything is fused nicely and has a common ground.

With these battery srt-ups there is not much room to work with, but you can see from the pictures, there was just enough room to mount the fuse block and reducer in the battery bay. I had to remove the two middle batteries to get them in there. I used the main power from battery number 1 (with a fuse within 6" of the main battery connection) and main ground (not the ground on battery number 6, but the ground that runs back to controller). For the switched power to the reducer, I ran a wire from the blue wire on the back of the key switch to the reducer (used a Volt meter to determine which wire was hot with only the switch on). These three wires were run diectly to the reducer. From the reducer, I ran the constant hot (since the reducer itself is switched) to the main positive post of the fuse block. The main negative post was tied into the reducer's negative going to the main ground for the cart (my reducer did not have a negative output).

From there it is pretty simple. The main power from the lights (blue wire) was connected to fused post in fuse block. Instruction tell you to connect to main positive of battery pack, which is not correct if you want to run 48-12V reducer. The main negative from the lights was also connected to ground on fuse block. Same with amp, main positive and negative to fuse block, except you must also connect the switched input wire on the amp to the constant power. The amp is still switched since the reducer is switched. I mounted the amp in front of the cart under neath dash in the spot that the factory uses for 16-12V reducers. See picture.

I mounted speakers to the kick panel below seat on either side of the F/R switch. There is very little room there and some people here have dremeled into the battery bay to create more room. I opted to use 1" spacers for the 6.5" so I could avoid this. I do not have a good picture yet since the body is removed for paint at the moment.

All of that worked fine and the lights and amp worked fine. The main problem I encountered was trying to wire in brake switch for brake lights. The lights kit harness includes a 9-pin harness which would typically plug into a deluxe kit harness for turn signals and horn. My harness had nothing to plug into the 9-pin harness. Therefore, we needed to connect the brown/white stripe wire to the yellow and white wire to provide the brake power feed to the tail lights. We did this by shaving wire shield off with razor blade and soldering together capped with electrical tape. You also have to connect a relay (included with brake switch) to the wires that are left hanging next to the 9-pin harness.

Then, you can simply wire up you brake switch by the brake pedal according to the instructions and wa-la, brake lights with 30-second relay/timer.

I hope this helps someone down the raod since it is no new information that isn't already on this forum, but simply a compiled version so maybe I can save someone some time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart.JPG (122.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Reducer and Fuse Block.JPG (109.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Amp.JPG (95.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140225_121436_462.jpg (124.7 KB, 0 views)
6point1SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
Ap8823
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2010 Precedent Radio and Lights Install

Thanks bro! One question is that little fuse connected to the 2 blue wires needed?
Or is that only for 4 12v batteries? -thanks!
Ap8823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
6point1SRT
Getting Wild

Any fuse will work. So for the power to the light kit and the amp, the fuse is in the fuse block. So that fuse you're talking about is not. You will need a fuse from the battery to the reducer and a fuse down by the brake switch. With electric carts, every power wire should be fused.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Ap8823
Getting Wild
Club Car

Ok so the fuse with the button with the 2 blue wires with spade connectors is not needed? And I'm installing a seperate battery.. And for the brake lights, do they work when your put your foot on the brake or no? Because I watched a madjax video and they installed an actual sensor pad on the brake?
Ap8823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have an accessory battery my self and I was going to put my tail lights on a rocker switch. I was wondering if the brake pedal had a switch in the kits. And I haven't found any kits that did.
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
6point1SRT
Getting Wild

The 2008+ precedents do not come with brake switch. I bought mine off of eBay. It is not the pad that is connected to the brake pedal, but a switch that is mounted below brake pedal. Lights do come one when brake pedal is depressed and stay on for 30 seconds.

The only thing is if you do not have the "deluxe kit" with horn and turn signals, you will have take dash panel off and connect the brown/white stripe wire to both the yellow and white wires.

The brake switch receives power from the light kit harness and send power back to the 9-pin connector through an orange wire in the bucket harness. At the connection between the bucket harness and the light kit harness, the orange wire turns from orange to brown/white stripe. If you do not have the deluxe kit, the brown/white strip wire ends at the 9-pin connector. The 9-pin connector also has both yellow (passenger side) and white (dirver side) wires running back to tail lights for the brake/turn signal feeds. You must connect the brake pedal switched power wire (brown/white strip) to these wires to complete circuit and sned power when brake pedal is depressed to tail lights.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
6point1SRT
Getting Wild

Link to brake switch I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Club-Car-Pre...item58a4392ce3
Old 03-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
6point1SRT
Getting Wild

Also, this brake switch comes with a relay that will have to be connected to the wires that are not part of the 9-pin connector, but have female spade connectors next to the 9-pin connector. The relay sends power to the brake switch.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:58 PM   #9
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6point1SRT View Post
The only thing is if you do not have the "deluxe kit" with horn and turn signals, you will have take dash panel off and connect the brown/white stripe wire to both the yellow and white wires.
Thank you for this 6point1SRT, ...I know this is an old post but this part of your post helped me out immensely getting my '07 Precedent brake lights working as I didn't get the Deluxe Kit, but my LIGHT kit did not come with instructions either! I was scratching my head for hours until I found your post now I have working brake lights.

I know there is are probably a million ways to terminate these three wires together, the way I did it was order a single cheap 9-pin Molex connector off Amazon and then terminated the three wires to that. That way I can unplug it in the future and plug in a deluxe kit if I ever wanted to. I didn't have brown/white stripe wire on hand so i just used a red wire to that one then matched up the yellow to yellow and white to white. Thanks again for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9pin.jpg (43.1 KB, 0 views)
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car