lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
Full Tilt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default New to forum and G29

Hi Guys,

New member here. recently picked up a gas G29 that I have been working on. I plan to do the Plowman Extreme kit, but in the meantime I am having issues with the cart's throttle being very 'jerky'. It almost seems like it doesn't matter how far the gas pedal is depressed. Throttle seems to be full power or off if that makes sense. I can have the pedal at 50% and makes no difference than 100%. I did replace all the throttle cables with new ones, but I'm pretty sure it was doing that before I did the cables and clutch spring, but not as bad. I also have an issue with what seems to be VERY low power with anymore than 2 people on any sort of a hill. Would this be caused by the clutch? Engine seems to rum fine. Fresh oil, plug and filters with a clutch torque spring. With just me the cart will do right around 20-22mph but only on flat grounds. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, I would really love some input on the Plowman Extreme Kits. I talked briefly with Don a few weeks back but have not yet pulled the trigger. I'm a little unsure about doing the final adjustments myself and don't know of any shops around here that work on performance style carts

Jakes 3" Spindle Lift
HD Rear Springs
22 inch tires/ 14" rims
Carbon Fiber Kit
Jakes LED Light Kit
Jakes LED Light 12" Bar
Kenwood Head Unit w/ (4) Kicker CS mids
ProTouring Enclosure
Full Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: New to forum and G29

Make sure the butterfly is closing all the way I've seen people adjust the idle screw thinking they are adjusting the governor so it's all or nothing like you're explaining also measure your drive belt new is 1 3/16 anything narrower than 1" is a shot belt
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
Full Tilt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thank you. Belt is only a week old but I will check the gov. I do have the gov backed off about 1/2 way. I did have the gov all the way out but didn't notice any difference in power
Old 02-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

"18" is the one I'm referring to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180213-171014.jpg (33.1 KB, 0 views)
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Welcome to the forum and to the world of Yamaha.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You have to have the throttle cable set up so the carb is closed when the pedal switch starts the engine. Determine where the pedal is to start then turn the key off and adjust the cable so carb is closed. It should still open fully with pedal down.

The governor only limits top speed, it will act the same until you reach the speed it is set at. 20s is common with a stock tire and gear cart, you will hear the engine rev higher and without changes to tire size or gears that is all you get.

Power issues are often the clutches, either the secondary is not shifting due to wear/damage of the helix and pads or the primary has a problem like bad rollers or weights. Or worn belt, broken motor mounts (not real common) or it can be a mechanical issue like leaking airbox, carb issue, etc. If the clutch is bad it will not put the power to the ground as it will not shift properly, if the engine is running bad it will not give the clutches the power they expect and again they will not shift right. Either way it will not perform well.

If you have the team clutches you have to look into that, some had updates, they had problems with some of them.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

If I recall on mine, my clutch was stuck partially closed and made it jerky all the time as the belt was grabbing while it was starting
I have the plowmans setup, if I was going to do it all over again I’d go big block or buy the updated clutches if they are still $400.
I have nothing bad to say about plowmans, I just should have gone big block...
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Plowmans makes great stuff. But a larger engine is, well its a larger engine and there is not much that will change that. I wish I would have put a clone in my cart years before I did. A twin might be better yet but a clone is enough to make it so much more fun for what I do with it.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #9
Full Tilt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Is the Honda engine the go to for big blocks?
Old 02-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Nobody uses a honda twin hardly, you can but no mods for the new one. Some use gx390 but clones 390/420/440/460 are used the most due to low cost. Otherwise many do vanguard twins if you have the budget. The clone twin is out and perf parts out for it now but few have gone that way yet. Plowmans makes all kinds of stuff for stock yamahas and some other things, but far as I know mostly for stock engines. You of course can put about any engine in there, people do put opposed twins and even 6.5hp in carts, atv engines, you name it.

Tags
g29 power
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha