lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
rsyr
Not Yet Wild

Default g2 yamaha with 23 vanguard 18 mph

Hi all just got a g2 with a vanguard 23 with about 6 hrs on it so i was told.The motor,clutch and belt look new. the belt has about 2" of play in it. It seems to have good low end power but stops pulling around 18 mph on gps [phone] the throttle cable is going from the gas pedal to the gov on rear end. Then a small cable to the carb. no gov on the motor. The gov. on the rear is turned in all the way. It was like that when i got it. Could the gov be hung up? What should i look for im at a loss. Thanks for your help.
rsyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: g2 yamaha with 23 vanguard 18 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyr View Post
Hi all just got a g2 with a vanguard 23 with about 6 hrs on it so i was told.The motor,clutch and belt look new. the belt has about 2" of play in it. It seems to have good low end power but stops pulling around 18 mph on gps [phone] the throttle cable is going from the gas pedal to the gov on rear end. Then a small cable to the carb. no gov on the motor. The gov. on the rear is turned in all the way. It was like that when i got it. Could the gov be hung up? What should i look for im at a loss. Thanks for your help.
Could be the owner installed a "torque" spring in the seconday. The ones from "BU" are so strong (white painted), that you lose top end. A stock Vangaurd 23 should give you all the low end you need and still have the top end to put a smile on your face Lets see a picture of your secondary set up. Then members can give suggestions on accelerator cable set ups.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
rsyr
Not Yet Wild

Thanks i will take and post some pics. The other owner spray painted the rear axle and secondary gray. Ive only had it for acouple of days. New brakes and cables came today.One brake cable was missing.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

What size tires are on it? Sounds like the governor is still on it, the cart governor? Some people like me just drill out the arm so it swings free and it looks like its hooked up but is not....
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
rsyr
Not Yet Wild

looked at the secondary this morn. You are right, after cleaning off some loose paint and dirt the spring is white. what spring would you recommend ? The cart has a 3" lift and 22" tires
The govenor is still hooked up to the rearend and the screw is in all the way.
There is no govenor on the motor. About how fast should this run. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
CART-ZILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

with that white spring 16-18 mph is gonna be tops the spring is just too stiff for speed if you go back stock you should see more speed ......BTW white spring is for torque you probably don't need that spring with that 23 hp vanny it's peppy already on low end...just my 2 cents ....lol
CART-ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most people take them out with a big block. You can try the concierge (limo or yamahauler) spring from yamaha it is a little better than stock but not an aftermarket.

A G9 stock will run around 25-27gps with the governor nut all the way in on 22s, but round profile trailpro tires that are actually closer to 23" if you air them up hard. They will run 28-30 with no governor on dirt/pavement respectively, flat ground, over 100yd runs. A clone 16hp will run 31gps on the dirt with the same setup only a cut sheave all stock otherwise, stock cart only 28 on same dirt road. Clone gets there way faster but will not run much more rpm than stock in the end, around 5-5500rpm it must be. Dirt slows down the stock engine but not the clone, its like dirt/gravel I guess a little sandy but fairly hard and used by cars often.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!