lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Vanguard 18 in Yamaha G5

I can't seem to verify that a Vanguard 18/23 install kit can go in a Yamaha G5A. I "think" it is the same platform as the G9 but Carts Plus and Buggies don't seem to be sure. I have been looking for a good G5 for years and now found one but will want to up-grade engine. Any help will be appreciated. THX.
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Vanguard 18 in Yamaha G5

Since your G5a is based on an engine/transaxle G2/G9 mounting platform, I'd go with the G2/G9 kit. You will not be sorry! The only concern would be the header/muffler location, I'm shure it would bolt up, but you may not like the sound. Wish you were close in Washington, I'd help just for fun
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Road-Trip!!!
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Small Block-Thanks for the response-Iwill go the Kit for the Van 18HP.Have seen your posts for some time & appreciate your prompt advice. I just finished a fame-up renovation on a G9 and was thinking of the Vanguard for it but up poped the G5 Sun Classic I have looked for forever-See it at Phoenix Craig's List entry for Aug. 1. Had a friend go over and look at it and it is cherry. Always street use (registered and licensed so can do the same in Wash.) I have already got the seller to kick in for gas & am leaving Sat. Am for 1400 mile (one-way) trip to pick it up.This will be my keeper. I have rebuilt a '96 CC. a "01 EZGO and the 92 G9(Send me an IM with your email address & I will send G9 photos) I will sell it when I get the Classic back here. I am now acting my 81 yrs. age with no more wild projects. (crewed on Unlimited Hydro, raced open wheels and did some classified flying projects.) I now just do enough to keep me out of the bars and prevent alimony. I will keep you posted on the Classic project. Thanks again. Dick
Old 08-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Wish I'd known you were looking for a G5a, we have one here that's in really good condition. What did you spend on it? Remember, every component you take off is worth money! Engine,starter/generator, wireharness, voltage regulator ect, ect,ect. It can help cover costs of the BigBlock kit. Pop for the rev kit and advanced timing key and if you can afford it..get the cam also I'm actually jealuse, if I could find one at a budget cost, I'd BigBlock it, cut the top off like my Mercedes or make it a roadster with a half windsheild and hoop style roll bars Good luck and if I can help in anyway, please let me know!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Have a friend here that might be interested in your G5a also. Can you send me some pics. to dcannow@comcast.net I have the seller down to $2400 to help with the gas. But it is supposed to be in ex. shape. I will know next week as I leave Tuesday for Phoenix.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcannow View Post
Have a friend here that might be interested in your G5a also. Can you send me some pics. to dcannow@comcast.net I have the seller down to $2400 to help with the gas. But it is supposed to be in ex. shape. I will know next week as I leave Tuesday for Phoenix.
$2400 is not even close to being a price for a nice G5a! I'll send some pix's, but I don't think the owner would take less then 4K, but cash does talk. This just gets more interesting.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The seller got the G5 along with a car from an Estate- He doesn't seem to know anything about carts. You can see it on Phoenix Craigs list at Aug. 1 posting. Just look for the 2,600 asking price as the heading doesn't refer to G5.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Hope you read this before the road trip.....Are you using an enclosed trailor or open? If open, I would HIGHLY suggest you take off the roof vent panel (only 4 screws). It can catch the wind at highway speeds and they are no longer available if damaged or lost! Second, don't pull the main wireharness, you'd lose you head lghts/turn signal/horn/brake lites ect. This could take some thinking. Like I said let me know if I can help in any way. Good luck Dave
Old 08-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave-You are a real prize!! I will be towing on open trlr. I had no idea the roof vent should come off. I always pull the top on others if for a long distance but pictured this as being sturdy enough to be OK. It has zipper doors that I plan on leaving on to keep air pressure out of the interior.I will be towing to Hemet, CA to our winter place for 6 weeks then bring it on to Spokane about 10-1. The shorter trip should let me know How I am doing. Also thanks for the heads-up on the wiring. I plan on getting the install kit along with the 18hp. Van. and will pay close attention to the wiring. The forum works again: Someone always bails me out. Dick
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!