lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
derkorkam
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger won't shut off

I replaced my old batteries in my 2000.5 Club Car last night and did a short test run and it ran fine. I hooked my charger (Power Drive 2) and the needle maxed out at over 20 amps. it must have stayed that way all night because when i checked on it in the morning it was still pushing the same amps. It smelled really hot too. Is this the new batteries not shutting the charger off, the obc, I tried a 2nd charger and the same thing happened. Any suggestions as obviously it's not good for it to charge full steam this long. Thanks
derkorkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Charger won't shut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkorkam View Post
Roady -- I am having the issue you referred to in this thread. I just replaced my batteries and my charger is pegging out. tried it on 2 different chargers. When you asked if that's what the charger was doing did you have a solution to that? thanks!

Without a doubt, it Means you have something mis-wired. Re-check all your wiring. sound's like you have one battery ran is parallel instead of series. Can't be the charger if 2 different chargers are doing it.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
derkorkam
Not Yet Wild

So you are saying i have one cable ran from the positive on one battery to the negative on the same battery? i am at work for another hour and will check when i get off. but i swear i double checked all the wirings multiple times. if it's not a wiring issue is there another solution you might have?? thanks for your help and quick response. would the cart still run if i had it wired wrong, because i ran it around the block after putting the new batteries in?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

NO...I think one or more of your batteries is wired positive to positive or negative to negative. It will still run but the charger will act exactly like you describe. The charger will see the pack voltage as being lower....example. 30 volts instead of 36...it will never get up enough to shut off. The only other thing I can think of is you have the charging circuit cables backwards or possibly connected to the wrong batteries.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
derkorkam
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help. I will check it out and update you on your suggestions.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
derkorkam
Not Yet Wild

I don't have any parallel hook ups. Here is my circuit. 2 red power leads connected to the 1st batteries positive post then just the short connecting cables from the negative of the 1st battery to the positive of the 2nd battery and so forth all the way to the last battery where there is a black cable going from the negative post to the back of the cart which looks like eventually ends up where my plugin is for the charger. Still having all the same issues. Wasn't like this before I dropped in the new batteries.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Well...If it was working before you put in new batteries and its not working now one of 3 things is going on. You wired it incorrectly, you have the wrong batteries..(wrong voltage, supposed to be 6 volt batts instead of 8 volt or vise-vesa) or you have a bad battery.

Is your cart a 36 or 48 volt cart?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
ElginEddie
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Derkorkam:
Did you ever figure out the issue you were having?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkorkam View Post
I don't have any parallel hook ups. Here is my circuit. 2 red power leads connected to the 1st batteries positive post then just the short connecting cables from the negative of the 1st battery to the positive of the 2nd battery and so forth all the way to the last battery where there is a black cable going from the negative post to the back of the cart which looks like eventually ends up where my plugin is for the charger. Still having all the same issues. Wasn't like this before I dropped in the new batteries.
ElginEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

check to make sure you have the right batteries count the water fill holes....3=36 volt 4=48 volt...............if its a 48 volt cart with the right batteries and is wired correctly one thing i have noticed with newer 48 volt carts is when the OBC goes cart will run and charge but charger never shuts off thus smoking the batteries but check the other things 1st.......we see a lot of members who buy batts, for a 48 volt cart not realizing they were sold batts for a 36 volt cart...............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum derkorkam..................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car