lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
krit76
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 07 Precedent running slow

I have a question for you all:
My 2007 Club Car Precedent, 48 volt, is running slow. I've only had it a few months. My problem started with the car barely running at all, I found that I had onebattery that was not charged fully. I replaced that battery with a used battery (Trojan, all the batteries are Trojan) from the local dealer. Now the cart charges and all the batteries read over 12 volts when charged. When you hit the hit gas the cart takes off like it should but quickly slows down. It will continue to run but very slow. Feels like it is not getting up tp its top speed like it had previously. Note that before the original battery issue the cart sat for about a month unused, I noticed these issues when I brought it home from the campground. Any ideas, advice?
Thanks!
krit76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 07 Precedent running slow

I think that you have more batterys going bad? Your batterys are now 3-4 years old and this seems to be above normal life span for 12 volt bat? Do a voltage test on each battery and then pack voltage with a digital hand held meter, then do a hydrometer test on each cell of each batterys and then post results for forum to see. If they look good you may have to do a load test on batterys to find weak one, but try others above first?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
jonitza
Not Yet Wild

Could also be the speed sensor..the cart will default to about 5 mph if the sensor is bad...
jonitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
wizzardcarts
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

you have a bad rpm sensor located on the motor 3 wires on plug very expensive part list for 175 dollars
wizzardcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
krit76
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the responses. All battteries check out over 12 volts individually, the lowest is 12.3 after charging, the highest is 12.8. I do not have a hydrometer so I will get back to you on that one. How do you measure the whole pack? (Pardon my ignorance).

Is this 3-4 years all I can really expect to get out of a set of batteries?

I also had someone else tell me the speed sensor was the issue.

Thanks for all the help!
krit76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have a wide spread between 12.3 65% and 12.8 100%, once you do a hydrometer test of all cells I think you will find that lower volt batterys will also have low cell readings indicating bad battery? To test pack voltage go across from negative cable going through OBC to cable feeding solenoid. BE SURE METER IS SET HIGH ENOUGH FOR 50.96 volts ( full charged ) pack voltage.
Sorry to say but alot of 12 volt bat are only lasting 3-4 years or less, while 8 volt bat are lasting 5-?? years ( I have Trojan 8 volt bat now working on "9.5" years and still going strong ).
Its possible that you have speed sensor problems but you need to confirm battery pack condition anyway to be sure before going on to other possible causes. Its like trying to find out whats wrong with a auto engine when your out of gas? The batterys are the GAS in a electric cart.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car