lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Meat Man
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default '87 CC Acceleration Problem

My wife's '87 CC accelertor has a short flat spot when first depressed and then it feels like it's starting off in high gear (there's no slow - medium speed). I was thinking (after some reading here) it is the speed switch assembly but after more reading here I went and checked all the connections I could and found the #3 solenoids' wire connector (on the back side) is loose from the solenoid - it's just sitting in there. It looks to have been replaced before so I'm wondering if the speed switch is indeed bad and maybe causing the problem with the #3 solenoid - I'm just guessing here. Any help is appreciated.
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: '87 CC Acceleration Problem

i,ll bet you have a few bad solenoids before the micros in the box.........jack rear up and with key on and in gear slowly press pedal...........1st click theres no movement thats the master.,.......2nd click wheels should start slowly turning 1st speed, 3rd click wheels turn faster thats 2nd speed and so on till you get to 4th speed.....also check your resistor coils for breaks in them and rust buildup, clean and or replace if needed...............good luck and let us know..............................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:10 AM   #3
Meat Man
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks Shadowman, that makes sense. May be why it acts like it's starting off in 4th. I was going to replace all solenoids anyway since that was the advice I have read in other threads, but I'll do the check you suggested and post the results later this A.M.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
J&M Golf Carts
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
i,ll bet you have a few bad solenoids before the micros in the box.........jack rear up and with key on and in gear slowly press pedal...........1st click theres no movement thats the master.,.......2nd click wheels should start slowly turning 1st speed, 3rd click wheels turn faster thats 2nd speed and so on till you get to 4th speed.....also check your resistor coils for breaks in them and rust buildup, clean and or replace if needed...............good luck and let us know..............................................
I agree here with all of the above. It usually is the solenoids that give trouble. Another thing less common is wear on the slide in the micro box. If it has extensive wear on it, it can sit too low to allow all of the micros to engage. This should be looked into last. You can check to see if all of the micros are working by putting the cart in neutral and pushing the accel. pedal and listening for the five micros to click. They will be faint clicks, so you might want to do this with the seat off and head as close to the micro box as possible.

You can check the solenoids by putting the cart in neutral and holding up on the micro on the F&R assembly with your finger. Then press the accel. pedal and listen for the loud clicks of the solenoids. Just because they click doesn't mean they are working however. You can use jack stands as mentioned above and run the cart or hold the brake and feel the jumps as it changes speeds. You should be able to hold speeds one, two and three. The fourth speed the cart should move on.

Hope this helps and good luck!
J&M Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Meat Man
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for your replies. I jacked up the cart as suggested and here are the results: Eased down on the accelerator and first solenoid click wheels started turning pretty good; Second solenoid click - no change; Third solenoid click - no change; Forth solenoid click (not as loud as previous three) - no change; Fifth solenoid click (also faint) - a little faster. From what you've said it appears the speed switch is working alright. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Best advice you will get is to replace them all at once. They are 20+ yrs old and some will likely start to disintegrate upon removal .... making you wish you had them all when trying to remove, say, a middle one....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i agree with scotty change them all do yourself a favor and where the resistors bolt on soak the nuts with PB blaster for awhile.............also make sure you take your main pos and neg cable off before working on the cart.......otherwise it can be a sparking and shocking experience..........good luck and let us know if we can help...................................
Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Meat Man
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks - I'll replace them all. Which cables are the "MAIN" +/- cables?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Use a voltmeter to find 36+ volts ....one on battery #1 and one on battery #6 both are in the front outside corner of the battery compartment. Removing one of them should do the job and eliminate the possibility of them both falling down onto the frame
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

for me its just a habit of taking both off and than i tape the ends up with duct tape and than tape them down so they don,t move......and with a black majic marker you can mark the tape so you don,t forget .........i do this cause sometimes i have 7 or 8 carts torn apart at the same time and last thing i want to do is start mixing things up................good luck and be safe but anytime your working on an elec. cart disconnect main battery cables...........only take a second or 2 to fry something else no matter how well intentioned we are.....................................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car