lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #1
desertrunner
Not Yet Wild

Question Help with 1993 Club Car- Throttle not as responseive with gas peddle activation

Hello, new guy here with moderate auto mechanic background working on my mom's 93 Club Car. Sorry I dont have a model #, but appears to be a "DS Gas" model. I will try to be descriptive as possible here in describing my issue below.

History- The cold start up process of gas peddle activate was always pretty responsible and quick. Typically in Reverse to back out of the garage. The car has been pretty reliable over the years and has had routine oil changes, tune ups, etc.

Recently- When stepping on the gas peddle, it will turnover for 3-8 seconds before the transmission engages. Spark plug was changed out, no fix. Checked the fuel level, ok. No fuel line clog, filter fills up ok to me. Could be a fuel fill issue, but Im not thinking is the main issue.

Running- It slug and stall at first a few times and then "catch on" with feathering of the foot pedal. Once it gets running, it seems to go strong, but I can tell its not optimum as in the past. I am also getting an unuasal foul odor coming from the motor like something is slightly burnt, cant pin point it.

Yesterday- Installed a new battery, the older unit was bad as expected. That seemed to get better throttle response and better power to the spark plug and over all some improvement with the throttle. Seems like the best method at start up is to slightly press the peddle to activate the car instead of flooring or moderate level. Seems like in the past, moderate to full push was the best was to activate it, even though we know its not recommended.

So this is where I am now- Better and faster start up with a new battery, but its not where its been prior. It will still turn over and "hunt" to engage at peddle activation. I am thinking its the mid level connection between the battery and throttle activation- something small and electronic like a solenoid?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
desertrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
desertrunner
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help with 1993 Club Car- Throttle not as responseive with gas peddle activation

Anyone?
Old 01-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Help with 1993 Club Car- Throttle not as responseive with gas peddle activation

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
Anyone?
Patience is your friend. Many of us are happy to help, but we all have lives outside of BGW. (Well, most anyway )

I'd start by giving the carb a good clean and adjust the valves. See where that leaves you
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:07 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Probably just needs the carb cleaned.

Remove the carb, remove the bowl and clean all the crud out of it. Remove the main jet in the bottom center of the carb, and then remove the brass pilot tube that's above the jet. Reach in the the carb throat with a flat head screwdriver and push down on the brass post in the middle and it should pop out. Might have to give the carb a few taps on the bench to get it to fall out.
Remove the Brass Pilot screw on the front side.

The idle mixture screw is not removable, but usually it doesn't need to be removed, just turn it from stop to stop a couple times and blast some cleaner and compressed air through the pilot hole and it should clean out any junk in the idle ports.

Give the whole thing a good cleaning, inside and out, make sure all of the holes are clean in the pilot tubes and reassemble. Do not over tighten the pilot screw on the side or you can crush the tube and distort the holes and that will mess up the mixture when starting.

Reassemble and adjust the throttle stop screw before re-installing the carb. Turn it out so it doesn't touch the throttle lever, then turn in until it just touches, then turn another 1/4 to 1/2 turn in. This adjustment will affect how easily the engine starts, so it's important that it's not more than 1/2 turn in.

Set the idle mixture screw to the center position. This affects the mixture when the throttle plate is Closed, so it affects the starting fuel mixture. If you find the engine is starting too lean (stumbling or needs to be choked in order to start) turn the screw out by about 1/8 turn.

When you put the carb back on the cart, make sure the governor cable (from carb to transmission) moves Very easily and has plenty of slack.
Check the adjustment of the cable by pressing the throttle pedal down slowly and watch the governor cable. You should hear the switches in the black box click, and then you should have to push the throttle pedal another 1/2 to 1 inch further before the governor cable starts to pull on the throttle lever. If the cable is pulling on the lever before the switches click you will have hard starting. If adjustment needs to be made, try adjusting the throttle cable where it comes out of the black box first. A small adjustment here will usually make all the difference.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
desertrunner
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the help so far. I also went to a local recognized dealer and learned that the belt may need to be adjusted. Just undo 3 screws and push back with a pry bar. Im not too experienced with carburetors, so might leave that one to the pros.

Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car