lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default One post txt long travel install snag

Well, I do like my new long travel front end on my txt. Where I hunt the ground is an old coal strip that was half-you know what reclaimed and parts of it are kidney jarring rough!! It's not that I'm going fast over it, but the new LT really makes a difference.

Now, one thing I did notice is the LT widens the width of the front tire track. That's good for cart stability, however I winch my cart onto the back of my pickup truck. The "standard" with just cleared the inside of the truck wheel wells. But, the new LT is about (I dunno....I didn't do an actual measurement) 3" or so wider. So.....now when I winch it up the front tires begin to "squeeze" into the wheel wells....the "POP" up...or one side does. Then over and down. The same happens when I take it out. (I have a winch on the back)

Now, that may not seem like a big deal.....but it's messing with my toe in\out. It's putting some pressure....and apparently a lot...on the front frame. Maybe I'm blaming this toe issue on the truck, when perhaps it's a break in or "settling in" issue with the LT. However, what I've decided to do is attach a snatch block about 4" to the left of my centered (centered in the middle of my truck bed at the top) boss where I attach the winch clevis. That way when I winch the cart up, only one front tire will "roll" over a wheel well and the other will stay flat on the truck bed.

Well.....that's the theory. I'll let you know how it works when I get the hole drilled and do a test run.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2017, 04:06 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: One post txt long travel install snag

Would backing it into your truck eliminate the front from having to jump over the wheel wells?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
crash test dummy

build a plywood shell over the wheel wells
Old 05-18-2017, 05:30 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Gent's,

I honestly appreciate your responses. But just a few matters. First, I'm disabled. Now, I can get someone to build the shell as you mentioned, but that "creates" another issue. My roof is permanently attached to the roll bar. However, if I change the angle of the cart in the truck....going 80mph on the highway is going to create a parachute type of air-flow. I fear bad things could happen with the roof.

Backing the cart in I have the same "fear". Plus I don't drive in the cart. I winch it in and the cart would "hang" out another 10" on the tailgate.

However, my current front tire size is 22x11x10. So....what if I went to a tire size of 22x7x10? http://www.mud-throwers.com/22x7_10?b=1 I'm thinking with the right choice, I could get "back" the 3" that I need and still have the same mud grab I have now?

Thoughts??
Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Gent's,

I honestly appreciate your responses. But just a few matters. First, I'm disabled. Now, I can get someone to build the shell as you mentioned, but that "creates" another issue. My roof is permanently attached to the roll bar. However, if I change the angle of the cart in the truck....going 80mph on the highway is going to create a parachute type of air-flow. I fear bad things could happen with the roof.

Backing the cart in I have the same "fear". Plus I don't drive in the cart. I winch it in and the cart would "hang" out another 10" on the tailgate.

However, my current front tire size is 22x11x10. So....what if I went to a tire size of 22x7x10? http://www.mud-throwers.com/22x7_10?b=1 I'm thinking with the right choice, I could get "back" the 3" that I need and still have the same mud grab I have now?

Thoughts??
That should work! As long as the offset of the new wheel is not drastically different from center of the old wheel.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Ok, now.....I don't want to "cheap out" on a set of tires. But now I'm looking at a tire size of 22x7x10. I can have these tires mounted to my existing wheels, (just take 'em to my local Pep Boys as they have a machine that can do this) and remove my existing tire and install the new tire.

So....one tire cost $44.95 each http://www.mud-throwers.com/inc/sdetail/65282/83204 and another cost $71.95 each. http://www.mud-throwers.com/inc/sdetail/65282/738 The less expensive is rated 4-ply while the more expensive is rated 6-ply.

What-do-ya-think? Go with the 6-ply rated.....huh?

BTW.....the wheel is an offset of 3" inside and 5" outside. I "need" to find a wheel that would be 3" inside and 4" outside.....that would be ideal. I can't really go more than 3" inside offset or I'm digging into the front disc capillaries and steering "stuff." A narrower wheel would likely help too.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Since you're running off road, I'd rather have the 6-ply for better puncture resistance. I'd want to decrease the chances of me being a mile or more away from civilization with a flat tire.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yeah.....I "pre" agreed with you. So, I ordered the 6-ply tires. In addition, I also ordered two new steel wheels just for the front. They are 10x7 with the offset of 3+4. I figured these new skinner tires would have a better fit on a skinner rim than on my current rim of 3+5. Plus....with the skinner tire I though the heavier ply tire would be "more better."
Old 05-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
crash test dummy

just a note on roof .... if tires sit in front of wheel wells before they will fit with a shell over the wheel wells

Quote:
going 80mph on the highway is going to create a parachute type of air-flow. I fear bad things could happen with the roof.

yea ..... your going to fast
Old 05-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

CTD!!!.....Nice drawing!! That truck is even the color of my truck!!

WOW....talk about freaky!!! This pic of my truck was taken before I had the winch boss installed in the top front of the P\U bed. And yes.....I agree with you that the front tires did sit back down on the truck bed once they would have "rolled over" such a structure, OTOH, if the cart can just be winched on the flat surface of the truck bed.....it's much easier to roll back off of the truck. (Un-winch) Much less things to "strategize" about when your looking for a place to unload the cart. Believe me.....I've been doing this for 8 years and "easy is better." Plus I simply do not have the ability to move like a normal individual. But, I don't say that for sympathy.....it's just the facts.

That's why I can't drive my cart on and off the truck bed. Once I'm "up there" it's just to difficult to get off. I can do it.....but since I'm on my own and out in places where nobody else is, it's just not the safest practice.

Hopefully these new front tires and wheels will be the magic. I'll post when I get 'em in and on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO