lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
CTownDawgs
Not Yet Wild

Question 93 DS Sporadic forward drive - cuts out sometimes

greetings - new to the forum and really need some help.

I have gone thru the service manual i bought on-line for this cart - it has the diode / resistor combo on the solenoid.

Background - i have had this cart for 8 years no issues, brand new trojan's, mild lift kit, well maintained

symptom - last year the cart would not go forward 50% of the time when pressing the gas pedal (elec cart), the solenoid allways clicked, also the cart would cut out occasionally while moving and more times than none if i gently lifted off the gas pedal say 50% then went to the floor, the cart would not respond, and i would have to press the gas pedal repetitively over and over again until it "kicked in". i also have to use the repetitive pressing of the gas pedal to get it to engage - however it seems reverse wants to work almost all of the time with no issues???

i checked all of the following per the manuals troubleshooting steps to be good
- key switch
- f&r anti-arch limiting switch
- wiper switch limit switch - tests gas pedal and wiper limit switch thru the v-glide
- solenoid for proper operation - on and off the cart for proper resistance or none as it is normally open, also diode and resistor are correct
- forward and reverse switch
- solid state speed controller (which has 4 steps, A/B/C/D - C gave me weird readings - i will explain the tests)
- Test A - solenoid - passed no problems
- Test B - keyswitch input to controller - passed
- Test C- Controller output - it states that the voltage observed from terminals B+ to M- should start at 0 volts and increase to full batt voltage when the pedal is moved to the floor...what i saw was full battery voltage from the start and when i moved the gas pedal the voltage dropped 4-5 volts and would slowly rise back up after 10 seconds in both forward and reverse.
i dont think that is normal
- last test was the diode in the controller - passed

I have yet to test the speed control circuit which looks at terminals B + C on the controller to see if it is getting the correct resistance from the wiper switch with discrete resistors in the v-glide - thinking this might be the issue ???

All wires appear to be in good shape - all tie wrapped and clean - no shorts - no bare connections

i am running out of ideas here - any help is much appreciated
CTownDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 93 DS Sporadic forward drive - cuts out sometimes

My first thought was failing micro switch but you have tested both of them? 1 on the F&R and 1 in the Vglide... SO next look at the throttle signal input to the controller. remove the wires from controller terminals #2&3. Plug your meter into these wire ends and set the meter for 20,000 ohm..... press the pedal (several times at various rates). Is the signal consistent?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
CTownDawgs
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty for the fast reply. I have not tried that yet ... if i get various results would that indicate the V-glide as the problem and the microswitch inside of it? (speed switch)

the test i did for the wiper switch limit switch was one lead on the blue wire feeding the v-glide and the other lead on the green/wht wire that goes to the Normally Open connector on the f&r anti-arch limiting switch - when pressing the pedal i was looking for continuity....would that be correct in stating this switch is working as expected - per the manual test???
CTownDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownDawgs View Post
Thanks Scotty for the fast reply. I have not tried that yet ... if i get various results would that indicate the V-glide as the problem and the microswitch inside of it? (speed switch)

the test i did for the wiper switch limit switch was one lead on the blue wire feeding the v-glide and the other lead on the green/wht wire that goes to the Normally Open connector on the f&r anti-arch limiting switch - when pressing the pedal i was looking for continuity....would that be correct in stating this switch is working as expected - per the manual test???
The micro switch (ms) is an on off switch for the solenoid activation. It is voltage.
The throttle signal is ohms (0-5k) in this cart. If the ms is being intermittent the solenoid would be clicking in and out. If the ohms signal is consistant (reliable0 then you are looking for a voltage problem, could be a bad wire end?

Make sure you are not loosing power at controller pin #1 when the cart acts up.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car