lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
TylerDurden
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Program change for Increased Tire Diameter?

I replaced the stock tires/wheels on my 2015 RXV. The new tires are 20 inches in diameter. I chose that size based on BobBoyce's recommendation of no more than 20.5 inch diameter tires with a stock controller.
Thanks to many in this forum I was able to make a cable and have access to the parameters in the stock Curtis 250amp controller. Is there a parameter that I should change in the controller now that the final drive ration has changed? I would like to get as much torque as possible as I drive up and down some pretty steep hills. I'm not as concerned about increasing top speed although that would be a nice bonus.
TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Program change for Increased Tire Diameter?

What access does your cable give you? There are some limits you can change but need developer mode to do it.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I replaced the stock tires/wheels on my 2015 RXV. The new tires are 20 inches in diameter. I chose that size based on BobBoyce's recommendation of no more than 20.5 inch diameter tires with a stock controller.
Thanks to many in this forum I was able to make a cable and have access to the parameters in the stock Curtis 250amp controller. Is there a parameter that I should change in the controller now that the final drive ration has changed? I would like to get as much torque as possible as I drive up and down some pretty steep hills. I'm not as concerned about increasing top speed although that would be a nice bonus.
No changes need to be made for tires up to 20.5". Torque felt does drop as you increase the tire diameter. The stock Curtis RXV controller is rated for 235 Amps, and that does not change. They are set to max out at 169.2 Amps from the factory. If you want it turned up, you can mail it off to me to get it performance tuned. You'll need to have 3 posts in order to PM usgicollector for the instructions.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
TylerDurden
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have developer level access.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #5
TylerDurden
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
No changes need to be made for tires up to 20.5". Torque felt does drop as you increase the tire diameter. The stock Curtis RXV controller is rated for 235 Amps, and that does not change. They are set to max out at 169.2 Amps from the factory. If you want it turned up, you can mail it off to me to get it performance tuned. You'll need to have 3 posts in order to PM usgicollector for the instructions.
Bob,
I have ordered a spare controller off of ebay. It is open box but supposedly unused. I don't want my cart out of commission any longer than necessary. After I install the spare controller and verify it is functional I will probably take you up on your generous offer.

In the meantime, I was hoping there would be a setting that I could change to increase the torque. It is more noticeable than I thought it would be after installing the larger diameter tires.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
TylerDurden
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
What access does your cable give you? There are some limits you can change but need developer mode to do it.
I have found 4 different registry settings for IAL that give developer level access. I have not checked all the parameters to see if there is any difference in the menu items each one enables. I did verify that each one allows me to toggle freedom mode on/off.

I would be interested in what settings you recommend changing to increase torque. The cart slows down a little going up steep hills with the larger diameter tires. It did not do that with the stock tires.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well you are farther than me. I have developer access with mine but not sure what your other settings are and please don’t post them here. Curtis is already ticked at the world. That said Bob is the man that knows these controllers inside and out. If you get him to modify one for you it will be a good experience.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:32 PM   #8
TylerDurden
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Well you are farther than me. I have developer access with mine but not sure what your other settings are and please don’t post them here. Curtis is already ticked at the world. That said Bob is the man that knows these controllers inside and out. If you get him to modify one for you it will be a good experience.
I've read enough threads on this forum to know better than to post settings on here. As far as finding the settings, a little luck and a lot of persistence helped.
Finding information on the various settings is proving to be difficult. Is there a manual available somewhere?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I've read enough threads on this forum to know better than to post settings on here. As far as finding the settings, a little luck and a lot of persistence helped.
Finding information on the various settings is proving to be difficult. Is there a manual available somewhere?
Curtis does not even share information like that within their corporate structure. There are 31 distinct Development levels, and there are differences between them. It sounds like you just tried changing the one value, there are 3 locations that affect access level. With the latest RXV controllers, any hacked interface will fail to communicate after handshaking, when the controller switches to the newest communications protocol. It runs a checksum test of the interfaces EEPROM contents, and if it does not match that of an authentic Curtis interface, it returns a checksum fail error. So be sure NOT to buy an RXV controller with a 7.X OS version. Not only that, they reduced Freedom mode from 19.5 to 15 MPH. They did nothing that I cannot reverse, but I hate invalidating the warranty on brand new controllers. All I can do is recommend that nobody buy a new RXV unless they are OK with the new Freedom mode speed limit, or they buy an older replacement controller.

Obviously, I do not give out the details in open forums on how to properly modify these controllers. I may no longer agree with the Curtis business model, but I still respect them as a business that I was once close with. I wish them no harm. The forum messages are crawled through by the search engine bots, so anything on the forums will turn up on search engine results. This is why I stopped posting updates on the Programming Curtis Controller thread.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #10
TylerDurden
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Program change for Increased Tire Diameter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Curtis does not even share information like that within their corporate structure. There are 31 distinct Development levels, and there are differences between them. It sounds like you just tried changing the one value, there are 3 locations that affect access level. With the latest RXV controllers, any hacked interface will fail to communicate after handshaking, when the controller switches to the newest communications protocol. It runs a checksum test of the interfaces EEPROM contents, and if it does not match that of an authentic Curtis interface, it returns a checksum fail error. So be sure NOT to buy an RXV controller with a 7.X OS version. Not only that, they reduced Freedom mode from 19.5 to 15 MPH. They did nothing that I cannot reverse, but I hate invalidating the warranty on brand new controllers. All I can do is recommend that nobody buy a new RXV unless they are OK with the new Freedom mode speed limit, or they buy an older replacement controller.

Obviously, I do not give out the details in open forums on how to properly modify these controllers. I may no longer agree with the Curtis business model, but I still respect them as a business that I was once close with. I wish them no harm. The forum messages are crawled through by the search engine bots, so anything on the forums will turn up on search engine results. This is why I stopped posting updates on the Programming Curtis Controller thread.

Bob
Thanks for the information. I have no desire to hurt Curtis business, I just want to make modifications to the cart that I own. It is unfortunate that Curtis was forced to take further steps to protect themselves with the new controllers. I would love to see a DIY version that was not so restricted. I would be willing to pay a little more for the freedom to modify the parameters.
This forum has been very helpful and I'm extremely thankful to members such as yourself.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO