lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Club car precedent rear steer

Thought I would share a project I'm working on. It's being covered under my build thread but the thread has gotten pretty lengthy and is all over the place.

I started with this-

I quickly discovered that the entire thing needed rebuilt. Every bearing and seal in side and out was worn out.

These axles are very poorly made. The steering knuckles that hold the cv joints actually wear out with use.

I found a local guy that had a good rear end out of a txt he was willing to sell so I purchased it for $150 and got a new set of gears and bearings.

I didnt want to re use the axle seals and axle bearings so I purchased an ezgo rebuild kit. This worked for the seals and snap rings but the badboy axle uses an entirely different bearing! Its actually undersized for the weight of the buggy. I had to live with this for now but in the future I will remedy this issue.

I'll continue to add more I've ran out of time but im actually pretty far along in this project.
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #2
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club car precedent rear steer

Ok, the internals of the axle are rebuilt now I'm focusing on welding all the link brackets on to the housings for the suspension.

I had to take about an 1.5in out of my upper link bars to get the axle to be perfectly level at ride height. This is critical! If the axle was to rotate to many degrees forward or backward the wheels would no longer turn left and right but rather lean in or out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

With the link mounts installed I began to check the travel and clearance of everything. I will have an issue with the motor making contact with the rear bag well area. I could move the axle forward and fix this but by doing so I create an issue with body clearance when turning. So I'm opting to keep the axle position further back.

Next was to mount the shocks. This proved to be a little tricky. The motor sits so close to the shock very little room for error.
My current shocks are also way to long but I have an extra set I was using before that are 2in shorter when compressed so I'll be swapping back to them tomorrow and checking clearances again.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Next I began working on a test link and make shift tower for my actuator.

The actuator is huge! It can push/pull 2000lbs and hold position up to 4000lbs.
Its fitted with a potentiometer for position feedback. I'm controlling it with a 3 position programmable controller. I'll have 3 preprogrammed positions on 3 dash mounted buttons. Left, Center, and right. I can also manually move the actuator to any position.

During testing I went to far and the tire hit my lower link bar. Luckily this only burned out a fuse. It got me thinking tho and I'll be purchasing a resetable breaker that will be conveniently placed to protect the actuator and the mounts from damage.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Short video but it works and its actually not to bad. The motor on the axle is burnt up I got it for nearly free to try so I'm not out much. The drag link in the video is just scrap heim joints and tubing i had laying around it's not sized correctly and neither are the heims. You'll see the tires kinda pause as the actuator makes it position changes. This wont be the case when its finished. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hudz5GphPhc

Old 11-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #6
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Next week as parts arrive I'll be sleeving the steering knuckles with bronze bushings and installing new shoulder bolts. Hopefully this takes all the play out of them.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:47 AM   #7
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is going to be awesome when you get it done! Looking forward to seeing it!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:39 AM   #8
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
This is going to be awesome when you get it done! Looking forward to seeing it!
Thanks man!

Me too. If I had a motor I would be creeping it around already!! [emoji58]

Old 11-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #9
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkerle View Post
Thanks man!

Me too. If I had a motor I would be creeping it around already!! [emoji58]

I'm going to pull off the toasted pos and see if I cant clean up the com and unstick the brushes enough to get it to move. All the more I tried it I sure saw alot of the magic smoke escaping.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:12 AM   #10
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

New motor showed up yesterday along with the parts to build the drag link.

I fought the motor for the better part of an hour and it will not fit without some pretty invasive modifications to the shock mount location. [emoji30] I thought for sure I'd be crabbing around the yard last night!

The shock is about 1.25in to far to the right. I honestly dont know if I have enough space to fit it. I may end up building trailing arms for lower links and mounting the shocks to them. Another option might be to use the rear factory leaf spring mounts to hang the shocks off the rear and extend mounting points of the axle to clear the actuator.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts