lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
Wayne Jacobsen
Not Yet Wild

Default Clutch puller too short?

I’m trying to remove an after market clutch from a g22. I have a clutch puller, purchased from a reputable seller.

It threads in just fine, but bottoms out before the clutch moves on the shaft.

Are there different lengths of clutch puller?

Maybe I’m doing something wrong? I removed the center bolt from the shaft, then threaded in the clutch puller. It turns all the way to the end of the threads by finger pressure alone. so It doesn’t exert any outward pressure on the clutch.

Thanks very much.
Wayne Jacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch puller too short?

If it's too short you can use an old trick. You could find a small bolt that's smaller than the puller, maybe 1" long?, cut the head off, put it into the hole, then insert the puller. If it's not long enough to get half the threads on, shorten the cut bolt a little more. It will push on the crank, allowing more threads to pull on the clutch.

I've also heard you can pump the crank full of grease, then insert the puller. The grease will use hydraulic force to push on the crank, supposedly. I've heard it works, but never tried it myself.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:42 PM   #3
Wayne Jacobsen
Not Yet Wild

This makes sense to me. Will give it a shot in the morning
Old 07-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
Wayne Jacobsen
Not Yet Wild

I did a little more research. I think the clutch currently on the cart is a comet style. It appears the regular Yamaha puller will not work for that clutch. I ordered a puller meant for a comet clutch. I’m going to wait for that before trying the sawed off bolt suggestion.

Thanks for your help
Old 07-14-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

That makes sense why it wouldn't work.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
Wayne Jacobsen
Not Yet Wild

It took me a while, but I finally got the old clutch pulled out. The comet clutch puller was too short as well. So I resorted to the cut-off bolt suggestion, and that worked. One modification: before I cut the head off the bolt, I used a bench grinder to remove all the threads. That way the cut-off bolt would not get stuck in the shaft.

The other thing I learned (I'm not an experienced mechanic) is that an air wrench makes it much easier to drive in the clutch puller (compared to a hand wrench).

Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:33 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

yeah the impact is the way to go. glad you got it!
Old 07-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just to note for anyone in the future reading this, I would highly recommend using a grade 8 bolt if you do this. For some of the clutches that are REALLY stuck on there (it happens) a regular bolt will just mushroom/squish down inside the end of the crank and then not only is the clutch still ON there, but once you do finally manage to get it off youve got a mess to deal with so you can get the new clutch installed and still have something to thread into.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Just to note for anyone in the future reading this, I would highly recommend using a grade 8 bolt if you do this. For some of the clutches that are REALLY stuck on there (it happens) a regular bolt will just mushroom/squish down inside the end of the crank and then not only is the clutch still ON there, but once you do finally manage to get it off youve got a mess to deal with so you can get the new clutch installed and still have something to thread into.
this is good advice!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha