lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
ffmedicmatt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G1 Help...new car, new to the game

Hello all

Just picked up a G1 for a winter project and I'm in the process of figuring some things out about it and I've got a few starting questions...

Rear bumper - so the rear bumper was pretty beat up and not looking great. Is there anything to put on standard or will I have to fab something up?

Radio and speakers - what setup has anyone does with radio and speakers? One of my neighbors has a G1 and some speakers on the front section however I wasn't sure if there were other available options. I don't have a roof on it yet but I am planning on buying on soon.

Seats - The G1 I have is setup for two bucket seats up front. I am buying some boat seats as it seems pretty easy to do. Do they need to have a more secure base such as the one for boats? I have some holes in the fiberglass but only two of the 4 seem to be in a structural member. I also plan on putting two on the back (as one of my buddies up the road did with boat seats and they are working well.)

Lift kit and wheels/tires - I have noticed only two different lift kits for the G1. I also read somewhere that without bending part of the frame, 4" is the max lift you can obtain. Is there any DIY lift kits or anything like that. I have seen a few lift kits for around $300, just wanted to weight my options on what works best. Also what is the max sized wheels/tires for a 4" lift?

Thanks all and I'm excited to get this project off the ground and rollin'
ffmedicmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Help...new car, new to the game

Regarding the seats, if your fiberglass is in good shape around the seat area you will be ok with just mounting them directly to the body. However, that fiberglass gets worn over the years and, personally, I think you would be nuts not to reinforce the underside of the body with some green board or something. Personally, I used some PVC plywood that you can get at Home Depot / Lowes.

I am not aware of anyone making aftermarket rear bumpers for those so you may have to fab something up.

I can't help you with the other topics!
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
wchouinard1
Not Yet Wild

I finally got 5" Jake's lift kit in this very day! Ordered in May and they finally started manufacturing. That's the only lift kit I am aware of for a G1. I've seen 22" or 23" max tire size. I'm going w/ a 22X11X12 and I'll post back here if needs any body alteration. As for the seats, my fiberglass was good, but it also bolted through the metal frame underneath so if that's intact, I don't think it needs anything else.
wchouinard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You can do what I did
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunting cart viking shocks 4.jpg (490.6 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:13 AM   #5
DebNeidert
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hi ffmedicmatt, I bought a G1 this year as well, my first cart ever, and I am located in Northeast Ohio.
DebNeidert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:18 AM   #6
DebNeidert
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I believe lead time on Jake’s kits is down to three weeks as of last week.
DebNeidert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
ffmedicmatt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Regarding the seats, if your fiberglass is in good shape around the seat area you will be ok with just mounting them directly to the body. However, that fiberglass gets worn over the years and, personally, I think you would be nuts not to reinforce the underside of the body with some green board or something. Personally, I used some PVC plywood that you can get at Home Depot / Lowes.

I am not aware of anyone making aftermarket rear bumpers for those so you may have to fab something up.

I can't help you with the other topics!
Awesome. I was going to use the holes that were there and insert some larger washers on the backside to give it something to hold on to. I was thinking of beefing up the backside of where the seats attached but didn't want to go the route of welding a piece of metal on the frame. the PVC plywood sounds like a good option.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
ffmedicmatt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
You can do what I did
I dig that. I've been looking at new wheels and tires and I wanted something that I could go off road with as well.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The seat was purchased on ebay, it was a kit made for the G1. I've been pretty happy with it, very comfy and it was easy to install. The boat seats look cool, but are kinda rickety if you ask me. I've used them before. There are some that are better than others. I like the bench seat because it has handles and I can sit wherever my butt prefers, and if I have a passenger there is plenty of room. Boat seats sometimes are small.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #10
ffmedicmatt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
The seat was purchased on ebay, it was a kit made for the G1. I've been pretty happy with it, very comfy and it was easy to install. The boat seats look cool, but are kinda rickety if you ask me. I've used them before. There are some that are better than others. I like the bench seat because it has handles and I can sit wherever my butt prefers, and if I have a passenger there is plenty of room. Boat seats sometimes are small.
yeah I was questionable on the boat seat. Worst case is I can put them on the back for the kids.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha