lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
scottykify
Not Yet Wild

Default Lots of dirt inside carb, VC460 kit and air cleaner. Are we supposed to oil these?!

Hey guys, kind of a elementary question here. I run my golf cart on alot of dusty dirt tracks to drag them smooth and water them. Just last week I took the air filter off to give it a cleaning for the time and there was a ton of dirt inside the carb! So obviously either this filter needs oil or its just not filtering. I'm running the vegas carts 460 kit with their air cleaner adapter and air filter. I admit that I did not oil the filter when I installed it because I wasn't sure if it was designed for that. Now its been cleaned and oiled with K+N brand stuff.

https://vegascarts.com/collections/p...billet-adapter

Im curious if anyone has noticed this before and more importantly, is there a GOOD air cleaner that is straight up swap for this that actually works to filter out fine dust? The engine compartment on golf carts gets amazingly dirty when driven on dusty surfaces in case you all didnt notice. TIA
scottykify is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Lots of dirt inside carb, VC460 kit and air cleaner. Are we supposed to oil thes

I used a filter setup from a Kohler zero turn mower on my Vanguard V-twin...There's 2 filters in the canister, one inside the other. I only use one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170305_154325.jpg (460.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170305_123545.jpg (397.2 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Lots of dirt inside carb, VC460 kit and air cleaner. Are we supposed to oil thes

I run a K&N air filter with an outer cover made from UNI green filter material.On the K&N I use their oil and on the UNI I use one the dirt bikers claim to be the best called Maxima FFT. It is really sticky. The gist of this is I run on a pair of islands with roads just covered with fine sand constantly. I often check the intake tract of my VC 460 looking for any thing getting by the filters. There is nothing. Now I do clean the filters twice a season.The K&N I use their cleaner on and the UNI I use one of the orange based detergents in water done repeatedly until no dirt shows in the bath. Let both air dry over night and reoil as per the instructions. Pics on pages 10 and 13 of my Vc 460 build. Also on my sled power Harley cart I use an UNI filter oiled with the FFT product pictured on page 6 of my sled build. Page 52 of my Vc 460 build shows the two cart filters plus the K&N off my Sonoma after washing.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I oil all my filters even if they come pre-oiled. I use Marvel Mystery Oil on my filters and wash them in Dawn dish washing soap [1000's of little animals can't be wrong]. Do it often doing what your up to on the dirt track. You might consider a remote air filter on the roof support if you have one to keep your intake air off the ground. 2 inch shop vac hose would work for the plumbing.

]
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I run an airbox out of an old chevy cavilier, it has a round hole in the bottom you can put a pvc threaded fitting into, and secure with a conduit nut. Then I ran pvc to the front of my cart where its way less dusty. It uses a flat filter that is $7 or so, but I never put one in again because it never gets dirty. I only run offroad, dusty trails, so it only gets dirt if I follow someone. The pvc ends behind the headlight. I welded an exhaust clamp near the gas pedal to hold the pipe.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:05 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

K&N are pretty good, I've run those for years and years in my vehicles, carts, and atv's. Never had any issues with them. I'm not familiar with the Vegas Carts filter, did it not come with labeling or instructions? If it's a washable cotton gauze type filter like the K&N or Spectre brand, then yes it needs oiled. If it's a paper filter, no oil. I've always used K&N red oil without issue. One thing, any filter used in dusty environments will need serviced frequently. Also, check the rubber seal around the filter for nicks or deformities, sometimes air leaks will happen and allow dirt in.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
scottykify
Not Yet Wild

I did not see any instructions pertaining to the air filter I even went back on their website and checked out the instructions for both the filter and the swap kit.

I really cannot tell if its paper or gauze to be honest. I ended up cleaning the carb, air filter, and then oiled the filter. I think moving forward I will measure the filter diameter and order up a name brand K+N or something. The engine is still running strong with a ton of compression thank god, so I think its still ok.
scottykify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Here are the pics of my 2 carts under the seat as of today. On the clone powered Yamaha note the intake area of the fan housing. On the sled powered HD you can see what the filter itself gets bombarded with. Also a notable pic is the inside of my G 14 pics with the tear down for sale on Ebay. Besides the out of spec cylinder to piston clearance that it started with the inside is immaculate using the K&N for 6 seasons and 350 hours of run time. P.S. One is the the 2 filters used on the Yamaha i.e both the stocker and the VC 460 use a genuine K&N and not some asian copy as well there is a genuine UNI on the HD cart. All were oiled with either K&N oil and or Maxima FFT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0850.jpg (552.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0849.jpg (491.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0848.jpg (630.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0847.jpg (459.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Here are the pics of my 2 carts under the seat as of today. On the clone powered Yamaha note the intake area of the fan housing. On the sled powered HD you can see what the filter itself gets bombarded with. Also a notable pic is the inside of my G 14 pics with the tear down for sale on Ebay. Besides the out of spec cylinder to piston clearance that it started with the inside is immaculate using the K&N for 6 seasons and 350 hours of run time. P.S. One is the the 2 filters used on the Yamaha i.e both the stocker and the VC 460 use a genuine K&N and not some asian copy as well there is a genuine UNI on the HD cart. All were oiled with either K&N oil and or Maxima FFT.
Ray is all that rust from the salty sea air? Man I'd hate to have that issue. Have you ever tried spraying the carts down with Fluid Film?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The rust on the harley is from it being mid way under water in super storm sandy in 2012 and then just sitting in a garage until 2016 when I saved it. The previous owner just didn't want do anything with it. I have used several rust converters on it but but the rust reappears. I suppose a total tear down restoration might work but it is just an extra cart. All that being said even the air here is saline and metal will rust like most salt water sites. These 2 tiny little islands are made up of a lot of salty sand. P.S. If I didn't live here I wouldn't have any golf carts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps