lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #11
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G9 Gas - Tons of Smoke - Rebuild?

I bought all genuine yamaha parts. Price out the parts Partzilla
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2020, 08:02 AM   #12
Ktrilla
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

You guys are great! I am enjoying all the information out here.

Are there any quick fixes I should try before I make the big leap of either paying someone to rebuild, or tackling it myself? I am going to replace the valve seals as Slonomo mentioned.

Another fact... I had compression up to about 135 yesterday. I added some oil to the spark plug hole, and tested compression again. It raised to about 155. From what I've read this often indicates a piston ring issue as many have already steered me towards.

I mentioned that when I opened the valve cover, the push rod was off one of the valves. I believe it was the exhaust.

I saw that years ago, on this forum, someone asked about the PCV as a potential issue. Knowing the cart has sat for so long, I would like to check-off all the potential small issues.

Also, if I am going against any unwritten rules on the Forum, or missing any general etiquette, someone tell me :) Not sure if I should keep this thread going or start a new one.
Ktrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #13
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktrilla View Post
You guys are great! I am enjoying all the information out here.

Are there any quick fixes I should try before I make the big leap of either paying someone to rebuild, or tackling it myself? I am going to replace the valve seals as Slonomo mentioned.

Another fact... I had compression up to about 135 yesterday. I added some oil to the spark plug hole, and tested compression again. It raised to about 155. From what I've read this often indicates a piston ring issue as many have already steered me towards.

I mentioned that when I opened the valve cover, the push rod was off one of the valves. I believe it was the exhaust.

I saw that years ago, on this forum, someone asked about the PCV as a potential issue. Knowing the cart has sat for so long, I would like to check-off all the potential small issues.

Also, if I am going against any unwritten rules on the Forum, or missing any general etiquette, someone tell me :) Not sure if I should keep this thread going or start a new one.
You are not going against any rules. Keeping this thread going is up to you, I would keep it going.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #14
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I ran the parts needed for a basic rebuild like I did on my G 14 but #'s for your G9 at partzilla.J38-11610-00-00 Piston rings @ $30.81, J38-11656-00-00 rod bearings @ $11.80, J38-15451-02-00 side cover gasket @ $10.17 , J38-11181-00-00 head gasket @ $ 9.03 and J38-11193-01-00 rocker cover gasket @ $ 4.14. This comes to a grand total of $65.95 using all genuine yamaha parts. SO EVEN if the engine needed to be rebored @ $ 80 and another $80 for and over sized piston the total would be right @ $225 all these years later than when I did mine in 2008.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #15
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

One item to note here is IF you do decide to do the engine yourself or with a friend DO GET a decent clutch puller to remove the primary clutch. Some people try other methods and up ruining the primary clutch which will cost you more the the engine rebuild.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

As I mentioned before, get the Yamaha Service Manual for your cart, it will be money well spent. You can actually read through the manual and find lots of other things to check. All the specs for tune ups and maintenance will be in there. Excellent place for you to start. Knowledge is power. You can only learn so much from posting on the forum. That book will be your saving grace, anytime you need to know something....just open it up and read.

I don't know of any "tips and tricks" other than going down the basic checklist of engine maintenance and basic operations checks. It sounds like you're doing that, just keep researching and checking things.

Oh, and I didn't suggest the valve seals, but thanks for the credit anyways lol
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #17
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

P.S Unless you are using high temp viton seal neither yamaha nor honda and the honda clones recommend using a valve seal on the exhaust valve as it will deform or melt from the heat. P.P.S. FYI I spent the $70 or so used the out of spec piston with new rings and rod bearings and drove the cart for 6 seasons with a total of 350 hours until it started smoking again. As far as the valve seals i didn't take the head apart. It passed the it holds water test
Old 10-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #18
Ktrilla
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

UPDATE: I spoke with Don Ploughman and he indicated that g9 motors cost about $1,500 to rebuild and he didn't know of anyone that would do them anymore. If anyone has a different opinion, please let me know.

I am not faced with tackling the project on my own or selling the cart as is to someone who can do the work themselves or doesn't care about the smoke.

I plan to tackle the project and see if I can get lucky. Ploughman wasn't very optimistic that I could pull it off, and that if it works, it is a short-lived fix.
Raydhd, I appreciate you sharing the parts list. I am going to pull the trigger and keep you guys posted on my progress... Which likely ends with hours of waster time and a pile of parts :) I'll take good notes and pictures in case I need help.
Ktrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #19
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

As log as there isn't BIG damage inside those engines are very durable. And yeah a quickie rebuild isn't like new BUT even with an out of spec piston to cylinder clearance I got 350 hours until it started smoking again. That took me 6 years to amass. Thank goodness for the engine tech at J&M carts back then when I described the situation said " If that were my cart I would do the rings and rod bearings and see what happens ". When I bought mine it smoked so bad 1 quart of oil would last about 2 miles and yet the compression reading was 150 psi. It shows you how much those oil control rings do. P.S. You can do a Vegascarts clone swap for less than $1000 as many of us has done with the Yamaha G 2-14 series carts. P.P.S. I just priced it out since VC doesn't sell the complete kit right now. Even using the 780 clutch,belt and billet S/G pulley and a VC exhaust header along with engine and S/G mounts I came up with $730. You would just need to add the clone engine of your choice and whatever muffler suits you. That being said that comes to about $1200 with everything being brand new. BUT if the $80 quickie engine rebuild works out that is hard to beat. I used it for 6 seasons before the engine swap
Old 10-22-2020, 08:13 AM   #20
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Check this thread in the "for sale" section.

>>>> https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=170210

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha